1987 Starcraft 18' Supersport Restore

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer
I'm helping a colleague restore the above boat. He just re-powered with a 2007 Merc 115 Optimax, only to find out the transom is rotted. I will get some pictures posted soon. We knew the floor had to be replaced, but as we were ripping out the floor, we saw the transom.

We think we have all of our bases covered, except one:

How do we get the transom back into the transom sleeve?
Do we have to take the complete deck off?

It appears that the splashwell, rear deck on each side of the splashwell, and tops of gunnels are one piece. We don?t have the engine off yet, so we really can?t tell what is connected to what. Later, when the engine is off, we will have a better view.

The existing transom consists of three pieces. Overall height of the transom is 24". Thickness is 1.5?. The bottom of the transom (approximately 12?) is plywood (probably two ??, I don?t know for sure at this point). At the top is what appears to be solid 2x12" pine on each side of the splashwell.

We have already made the transom out of regular exterior grade ?? plywood, bound together with West System 105 epoxy resin and 403 thickener/bonding agent. We then coated the outside of the transom with WS 105 and fiberglass mat. Right now there are 2 layers of mat on both sides and a total of four in the engine /mount recess area.

We fear that we may have to cut our existing one-piece transom into three pieces just because of having to install it without removing the entire (or at least half) deck. If we did cut the transom (to the way it is now), we would epoxy a backing board or aluminum plate on the inside. This would bond the top and bottom halves together (one on each side).

So, if you have worked on a Starcraft Supersport and understand our dilemma with re-inserting the transom, please post your experiences. I will get some pictures up in the next day or two to help illustrate.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1987 Starcraft 18' Supersport Restore

I do not know your boat but have a few thoughts. First I would not cut the new transom in order to fit it under. Either take the entire top cap off to get open access to the inside of the transom or - - and this is what was done to my 23'er when the transom was redone - - cut the cap about 3-4' forward of the transom and remove to get access - - of course you will reinstall it when you are done.

Pictures would help.

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for your reply, Solittle. I agree, I want to keep the transom as one piece, even if it is three now.

It appears we may be able to peel back some deck carpet and drill out rivets that hold the gunwale deck to the gunwale support channel.

We coated the 1/2 ply floor with epoxy tonight and should have the gas tank, fittings, bulkheads, and cross deck supports installed tomorrow. Then off to the shop to pull the engine. Later in the week we will start to destruct the transom, cut the transom into its final shape, coat the freshly cut outside edges of transom w/ epoxy, and work on the install.

Attached are some pictures that may help.

Thanks again for any comments.

Attachments

• forward (Medium).jpg
    forward (Medium).jpg
    70 KB · Views: 1
  • rear (Medium).jpg
    rear (Medium).jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 0
  • transom1 (Medium).jpg
    transom1 (Medium).jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1
  • transom2 (Medium).jpg
    transom2 (Medium).jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 0
  • transom3 (Medium).jpg
    transom3 (Medium).jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 0

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer

Here are some shots of the aluminum gas tank after West System Aluminum Etch kit and epoxy & mat on the bottom. Then the cleaned up tank back in the boat.

Attachments

• Gas Tank 2.JPG
    Gas Tank 2.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Gas Tank.JPG
    Gas Tank.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 0
  • tank-front.jpg
    tank-front.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 0

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer

Here are some better shots showing the top of the deck and how they are integrated w/ the splashwell, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_4918.JPG
    IMG_4918.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4920.JPG
    IMG_4920.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4921.JPG
    IMG_4921.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 0

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer

Here are some shots of the new transom. A 4x8 sheet ripped down the middle and epoxied together to form a 2x8. Then about a foot off each end and a rough cutout for the outboard. Right now has about 5 coats of epoxy w/ 2 layers of mat overall and 5 layers of mat in outboard area.

I want to make sure I get a good top overall measurement, so I can cut the sides. I can get that done once the engine is off (still at the shop). After we start to disassemble the transom cutout, we can get dimensions of it.

After getting good dimensions, cut to exact fit, test fit, then epoxy the edges.

Attachments

• DSCN0843.JPG
    DSCN0843.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0845.JPG
    DSCN0845.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 0

wmgraphics

Seaman Apprentice

Love the tank. That is exactly what I want to do but have not found the right tank. Do you have the contact info of where you bought it? How much was it? Also what kind of material did you replace the floor with? The splash well looks real good, did you fab that yourself? Your boat is a great example for me. Do you have any other picts, info or maybe more detailed picts of these? I am a little nervous and any info or assistance would greatly be appreciated. Thanks Mike

wmgraphics@yahoo.com

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer

Love the tank. That is exactly what I want to do but have not found the right tank. Do you have the contact info of where you bought it? How much was it? Also what kind of material did you replace the floor with? The splash well looks real good, did you fab that yourself? Your boat is a great example for me. Do you have any other picts, info or maybe more detailed picts of these? I am a little nervous and any info or assistance would greatly be appreciated. Thanks Mike

wmgraphics@yahoo.com

I have wanted to do a write-up on the whole project, but I have't had the push to take the time.

The tank was the original tank. We salvaged it by cleaning the outside with aluminum etcher and then epoxied a couple of mats where there was a little corrosion. We used 5/8" treated ply for the floor. We put it out on the driveway for a day, flipped it over to get the back side; repeated until the floor was fairly dry. We then coated it with some left-over epoxy.

I'll gather all of the pics and post soon.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

How is your fill line routed with that setup?

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer

How is your fill line routed with that setup?

Same as stock -- fuel cap on left side of gunnel. Line runs close to the port console, slips under the floor and on to the tank opening.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Have to see it to understand I guess.

I think stock for these was a rear tank on the port side. That's where my filler is and that's where it was on my other Starcraft with an I/O.

I love the setup of you tank but I kinda doubt it was original. But I may very well be wrong.