1994 Evinrude 48hp Starter issue??

JWScarab

Cadet
Hi,

I just pruchased a boat with a 1994 Evinrude 48hp. It seems to run great but about 25% of the time when I go to start the boat, I just get a spin, like a starter spinning but it is not engaging the flywheel and turning the engine. I let off the key and most of the time it engages the 2nd time and starts right up. Only once did I have to hit the key 3 times.

Do you guys think it is definitly a starter solenoid??? It does have a new battery and connections are clean.

Thanks!!!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1994 Evinrude 48hp Starter issue??

unplug the harness at the engine, and make sure the harness plug is clean.

90% of starter problems are bad connections. remove and clean both ends of the battery cables, so that they are shiney, also the cable from the solenoid to starter. check for nicks in the cables. and make sure the connectors are on the wire good. the cable tend to corrode from the inside out, if nicked, corroded wires, and connections, heat up and cause resistance to the follow of electricity, thus the starter doesn't get enough. you can also take jumper cable pos battery post to large post on starter. with a good connection, the engine should spin. then if the starter is good clean everything and retest. then trouble shoot solenoid. starters can be rebuit at a starter/alternator shop, much cheaper than a new one.

your is a classic case of the above, the 1st try eats a little corrosion, the second gets enough current thru.

JWScarab

Cadet

Thanks very much for your help! I will clean all those connections this weekend and keep you posted!. I appreciate the advice!!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Could also be the bendix (the gear at the top of the starter.It spins up a spiral to ingage the flywheel ring gear.A squirt of WD40 will ususlly fix temporarly.Need a more permanent lube like oil or light grease.

JWScarab

Cadet

Ok, I cleaned all the connections very well and also sprayed white lithium grease on the starter shaft. 1 day out and so far so good! Getting ready to do a 4 day weekend on the lake so this should be the final test! Thanks all for your help! Joe