Aggravating weekend at ramp

jjay74

Seaman Apprentice
This weekend started off Saturday morning with a successful launch followed by 4 hours on the water.

My wife, who has never pulled a trailer, decided that she wanted to help on the launch. She volunteered to pull the truck/trailer out once the boat was in the water. I thought, "what could it hurt??". I told her to pull straight up the ramp and off to the side. She handled it like a champ.

When we got back to the ramp, she wanted to go get the truck. I explained to her that although she had no problems pulling the trailer out, backing in is something that needs practice and the boat ramp isn't the place for a first-timer. I went and backed the trailer in the water. I didn't back it in far enough, so she volunteered to back it in some more. She backs in, I hook the winch cable and we're ready. I told her to pull up slowly, but what does she do? FULL THROTTLE. Yeah, I know you're thinking, he fell down on the boat..........no, the truck was in reverse. Damn near filled the bed of the truck with water before she stopped! I decided yesterday that I would no longer need any help and I should just continue my routine of doing it by myself.

Well, it's my turn today. I got everything ready to go. Stopped at the gas station to fill the boat up. Checked the gauge in the truck and I had just over 1/4 tank. No problem, boat ramp is only 2 miles down the road. Load the boat at the ramp, pull up to back in, get about 10 feet from the water and the truck dies. Never thought about the incline of the boat ramp and the gas sloshing to the back of the tank away from the pickup tube. So here I am, blocking the entire ramp with a Z71 and 24' pontoon. Thank goodness, one of our friends wanted to go on a ride today and she met us at the marina. Sent them for gas and all is well now. NOTE TO SELF---Take the extra 2 minutes and put gas in the truck when you fill the boat up!!

Sorry for the long post, but thought it would give a laugh. I guess worse could have happened.

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Aggravating weekend at ramp

Once I have the trailer on the downhill I shift my van into drive and let the weight of the boat pull me down hill. This avoids those "ah *****s" and have you at "ready" to leave when you launch. And NO, It doesn't hurt the tranny any. Give your galley wench another chance ...
icon12.gif

redfury

Commander

Well, at least you didn't end up with a submerged truck and your good luck let you save some face with the gas situation. Sometimes it's those things you think really don't matter much, that really matter much! Only, they don't dawn on you until after you figure out how much they matter!

Thanks for the chuckle though. So far so good on my end ( other than launching without a drainplug ).

MikDee

Banned

Well, at least you didn't end up with a submerged truck and your good luck let you save some face with the gas situation. Sometimes it's those things you think really don't matter much, that really matter much! Only, they don't dawn on you until after you figure out how much they matter!

Thanks for the chuckle though. So far so good on my end ( other than launching without a drainplug ).

I'm LMAO! redfury over this statement, How true it is, when it bites you on the A**! been there, done that.

jjay74 Yes, embarassing, & uncomfortable, but at least nothing was compromised.

jjay74

Seaman Apprentice

Once I have the trailer on the downhill I shift my van into drive and let the weight of the boat pull me down hill. This avoids those "ah *****s" and have you at "ready" to leave when you launch. And NO, It doesn't hurt the tranny any. Give your galley wench another chance ...
icon12.gif

Nova,

That's what I normally do also. The only problem is, I already had the trailer backed into the water, but not far enough. So, she went and backed it in more for me. I guess she sat there with her foot on the brake and it never registered to her that the truck was still in reverse.

I wouldn't mind giving her another chance, but I think it scared her worse than it did me. I'll let her try again when she asks.

heycods

Captain

Wife is in training on loading the boat, Done good last trip, I gave up on her ever being a trailer backer!

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Quote from comedian Etta May

"Two biggest fights in a marriage: Decorating a Christmas tree and backing a boat trailer"

redfury

Commander

At least he wasn't the A-hole screaming at his wife to tears over it. Mistakes happen, especially when the informed assume the uninformed understand procedure at the same level they do.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

it's not that bad, saw it couple weeks ago, dude launched his pontoon without incident but the vehicle driver....let off the brakes, trucks rolls back, again, again only this time he guns it, truck (dooly) lurches back over the axle in water now........then I see the reverse lights go out & he pulls on out.

I won't admit to having done it myself, but I do remember once, the truck kept wanting to back itself into the lake, until I remembered to shift into Drive.

And that other time when, coming round to load (solo), I noticed the reverse lights on my truck were lit up......you never saw somebody scramble over the bow through the liftgate so fast!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Quote from comedian Etta May

"Two biggest fights in a marriage: Decorating a Christmas tree and backing a boat trailer"

That and arriving at a campground in the dark and the wife giving directions backing the house trailer into place in pitch blackness with a flashlight she is pointing at your face !!!
She is still the greatest though and i can not get mad with her. She does her very best in those situations even if it creates more issues.