How do you "Remove throttle cable barrel from barrel retainer?"

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I am trying to do the link and sync on my motor for the first time. I am stuck on the part where the manual says to "Remove the throttle cable barrel from the barrel retainer." I do not know where the throttle cable barrel and the barrel retainer are, nor do I know how to remove the throttle cable barrel from the barrel retainer. I do not want to remove the wrong thing.

I understand that the intent is to remove the throttle cable (which is entering the motor area) from the motor's linkage so that the motor linkage can be moved by hand for timing purposes. My Mercury shop manual, however, simply directs me to do this and does not seem to explain how to do this nor does it seem to provide any labeled photo/diagram of these components.

I attached a numbered photo of the area of the motor where I guess these components are. If someone can tell me in which numbered area these parts are in and what to do, I would very much appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_4855_markup.JPG
    IMG_4855_markup.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 11

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How do you "Remove throttle cable barrel from barrel retainer?"

See attched modified pic.

The retainer pivots CW around the lower pin, marked with an X

The retainer holds the adjustable throttle barrel in place.

Throttle cable is marked accordingly.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

• IMG_4855_markup.JPG
    IMG_4855_markup.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 17

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

The right end of the cable comes free (where you show #4) by pivoting its retainer out of the way to let the cable slip off the pin.

Shift cable is similar.

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wow! Seems easy once you know it but I would never have figured that out on my own.

Thanks very much.

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Another step in the link and sync procedures involves the following procedure.

"Check preload on throttle cable by placing a thin piece of paper between idle stop screw and idle stop. Preload is correct when paper can be removed without tearing but has some drag on it. Readjust cable barrel, if necessary."

When I did the paper test, the paper tore so I figure that the preload may be a bit too high on my motor. The Mercury shop manual does not describe exactly how to adjust the cable barrel. Am I correct to assume that this involves removing the cable barrel from the barrel retainer and then turning (screwing) the cable barrel along the threaded cable shaft to adjust preload. And if so, then in my case would I screw it towards the right end of the cable (i.e., towards the back of the motor) to reduce the prelode? Further, would I turn the cable barrel only one turn at a time and then retest the preload using the "paper tear" method or does it take several turns to make any meaningfull difference to the preload level?

I figure it is better to ask a possibly dumb question than to risk doing something a dumb way.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

You're correct.

Adjust it like you said, to have some pre-load but no so much as to tear a piece of paper.