Lower Unit Damage?

surfdwn1969

Cadet
I have a 1976 SeaRay 190 with a 233HP Mercuiser.

I was getting ready to take it on a dive trip recently and was checking the boat out. It did not want to go into reverse. It would reverse at idle, but as soon as any throttle was applied, it would die. Forward seemed fine.

I decided to check the gear oil. The outdrive was rebuilt last Summer (by a local marina), so I was not expecting any difficulties. Wht I found shocked me. The drain plug was missing! More than likely it was missing since last Fall. I took the boat on a dive trip (saltwater) in May and noticed the reverse issue when returning to dock.

I tried to fill the lower unit, but oil came out between the lower unit and the upper unit, so i quit. I assume a seal or gasket is leaking badly there.

My question is....how much and what sort of damage can I expect from running this outdrive last May? With the drain plug missing and the gasket/seal problem, I assume that sea water has been in the unit. It was run for about a hour that trip (over two days).

Thanks

David Nolen

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Lower Unit Damage?

I would Expect to find absolutely No useable Parts...........At All...........

You're a prime canidate to try 1 of those aftermarket SEI replacement Drives........