The new guy!

SinisterAngel

Seaman Apprentice
Hey, I'm new here. About darn time I found a nice technical forum. Actually, I'm going to the Great Lakes Maritime Academy, so my experience with boats on the engineering end is a bit different from smaller craft. As a result, I'm not really familiar with the driveline components of an I/O boat, so hopefully I can learn because I want to do a few.. umm.. power modifications *cough*chevy350*cough* my family's 91 Searay 200, but I don't really want to be busting components if I start dropping stupid amounts of power in.

boatingfool

Chief Petty Officer
Re: The new guy!

Welcome to the board!!!<br /><br />There is a huge number of people on this board as you can see.<br /><br />But Dockside chat very seldom has a topic about boats.<br /><br />I'm not saying you will not find the info you are looking for on this board.Because you most certainly will.<br /><br />My point is if you are looking in this forum for it you will be disappointed.<br /><br />I hope I am not coming off the wrong way.<br /><br />My intention is to be helpful.<br /><br /> If you came for technical advice you found a great board but you wont find it in this forum.<br /><br />Enjoy your stay and I hope you become a regular. ;)

SinisterAngel

Seaman Apprentice

No, it's all good. Yeah, I know this isn't the forum. I'm just kinda giving a heads up on what my intentions are. I'm gonna be eyeing the I/O tech section when I get some time and post when I get even more time. Being a college kid takes up too much time heh.

18rabbit

Captain

Jason- welcome aboard!!!<br /><br />There are tons of folks here that are active in small vessel maintenance, restoration and modifications. How ‘small’ are the vessels you know or work with thru your academy studies?

LubeDude

Admiral

Welcome to the forums. there are several here that are of the performance crowd. Just remember when changing things that some modifications need to be Coast Guard approved.

SinisterAngel

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by 18rabbit:<br />Jason- welcome aboard!!!<br /><br />There are tons of folks here that are active in small vessel maintenance, restoration and modifications. How ‘small’ are the vessels you know or work with thru your academy studies?
Well, the smallest I've been out on was a lifeboat when we went through training for that ;) <br /><br />Our training ship is a former naval ocean surveillance ship from the cold war. It's a 224 foot vessel sporting 4 x Cat D398 diesels rated at 940hp @ 1200 RPM turning a kato generator which makes 600kw a shot. That is just for power generation. For propulsion, we are sporting 2 x General Electric DC motors rated at 800HP a piece. It also has a bow thruster, which makes parking rather easy ;) For information about the school, you can go to http://www.nmc.edu/maritime/ or for information on the ship go here: http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/6606.htm <br /><br />Even though it is only my first year, I've been on the ship twice now when they've had it underway. Once was in early september when we took her up to the soo locks. Another was the week before thanksgiving when we brought her back from dry dock over in wisconsin from her 5 year inspection. Wisconsin was fun because I went and inspected the bottom of the ship before they flooded the dock. All I can say is that it's amazing how big it looks when you realize that you have 1500 tons of metal above you. As for being on the water, it's kinda relaxing. Even though we are only moving about 7 kts (on that ship), it's still a blast. I'm in the engine department, but on the soo trip, when I wasn't on watch (4 hours on, 8 off) I was usually up in the pilot house. Going under the mackinaw bridge was neat as hell. I have a picture of that if anyone wants to see.<br /><br />Erm... anyway, I think I've posted enough for now. If you want to know more, feel free to ask!<br /><br />Oh yeah, as for the coast guard, I know about them heh, seeing as our industry (Merchant marine) deals with them constantly. For example, they don't allow the use of PVC piping, even on low pressure systems... how rediculous is that?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> dont try to hop it up. more trouble than its worth. been there done that for almost 30 years.the "ridiculus" regulations pertain to safety. in the hopes that all stay alive. I have seen PVC airlines burst with 50 psi. and ya never know when a relief valve failure will turn the 120 psi system into a 260 psi system. it happened at thr machine shop I worked in in Cleburne TX. the ship I was on had 4 LM-2500 main engines, at 26,000 HP each tied to 2 main reduction boxes with continuosly variable pitch propellors that could go from 31 knots ahead to 15 knots astern in just at 58 seconds:)<br /> good luck and enjoy the schooling:)

SinisterAngel

Seaman Apprentice

Haha, sweet. What license do you have?<br />I've heard that ships with gas turbines can actually squat a bit when you punch it.<br /><br />Unfortunately, we don't have any gas turbine classes here. It's diesel (which I'm in right now) and steam, which I suppose would help a little bit if I did work on a ship with a co*ag setup.

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Jason,<br />Welcome aboard! Sounds like a very cool major!<br />FYI, PVC also produces a highly toxic gas when it burns, and it does burn. Most building codes restrict the use of PVC in hanging ceilings etc.<br />-Joe