67' 9.5 has regular & violent skip??

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer
My buddy has had this 67' 9.5 ho Johnson for 20+ years but uses it only 1-3 times a year max.
Last year, the Water pump quit on a outing but he thinks he shut it down ASAP /before any damage happened. Yet this year,( after a new WP was installed), the motor needs to be started at higher RPM and has a pronounced and pretty regular skip every 1/2-3/4 second or so. ( Otherwise, it starts & runs good at any speed.) I did a quick check with an inline timing lite and it seems to be giving regular spark to both cylinders . ( Not sure if this is the right tool to check it though.) Spraying WD40 around the carb/head shows no rpm change so i don't think there is an air leak on the intake side. I'm thinking points & Condensers? Cracked coil? . Any chance of a sticking float?? Hopeing it's not something worse caused by overheating. Thoughts and advice on how to procede are MUCH appreciated!

p.s. I'm pretty handy at working on outboards, just not so confident in diagnosing problems.

Dave

Last edited:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 67' 9.5 has regular & violent skip??

Is this skip at idle? If the timing light appears steady it isn't likely an ignition problem.a skip or sneeze at idle usually indicates a lean condition.May be as
simple as adjusting the low speed needle.
It sounds like this motor has sat around a lot.You may have to go through trhe fuel systyem from tank to carb with special attention to cleaning.Don't assume the passages and jets in the carb are clean prove it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You say regular and violent. Is this while under load at higher speeds on a boat and feels like you keep hitting a stump? If so, that is jumping out of gear, rotating 1/2 turn and slamming back into gear. That is caused by the clutch dog and forward gear being worn. Or shift connector not put back together correctly when reassembled after the water pump job. If it is the connector, better fix it quick because every time it jumps it causes damage to the dog and gear.

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the replys. No, it does it all the time, in neutral, in gear, at idle etc. I'll try adjusting the carb, then cleaning it next. I was going to rebuild the carb but i don't see a carb kit listed here for this motor. Anybody got another source for parts?
Thanks again!

rolmops

Vice Admiral

just one additional thing.
WD40 does no longer use a volatile propellant so your spray test is useless.
Try it again with carb cleaner.