Buying new motor

pugstori

Cadet
Hello..I have a small 11 foot fishing boat that I use in lakes in Colorado. I currently have 2 electric motors and want to buy a small outboard for it. It is rated for a 15 hp motor, but I'm thinking about a 6 to 9.9 (I have to take it off and carry it when I am done). Any ideas on what the best engine would be ?? 2 stroke or 4 stroke ?? We do a lot of trolling. The boat only weighs about 150 pounds. Thanks for the input !!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Buying new motor

Howdy, Pugstori. I don't know of a water-cooled engine in that range that isn't a wonderful machine. I reluctantly suggest a 2 stroke only because of weight, everything else favors a 4 stroke twin. You probably can't get a 4 stroke twin under 83lb (Evinrude 8hp)while a number of great 2 strokes come in at under 50lb. I have had a number of OMC twins from 3 to 15hp and every one was a great engine. I think the 6 and 8 were my favorite portables. FNR shifting adds weight but is really worth it; otherwise I would favor the 4. Stay with water-cooled twins and you probably can't go wrong with any leading brand.<br /><br />Have fun shopping!<br />JB
smile.gif

pugstori

Cadet

Thanks JB......Do you think that 2 cylinders is very important?? Merc makes a 6hp 4 stroke that only weighs 55 lbs (single though). Otherwise I was thinking that I would go with an 8 hp at 83 lbs if I go with a twin. I would sure rather haul the Merc but I could deal with 83 lbs. Any thoughts ? Thanks !

JB

Hi, Pugstori. Yes, I think twins are much smoother than singles, but that is opinion, not fact. Were I in your situation and could stand the idea of lugging 83lb (I am a 65 year-old heart patient) from the car to the boat there is no question that I would favor the Evinrude 8, or equivalent.<br /><br />Congratulations on your guts!<br /><br />Good Luck.<br />JB
smile.gif

pugstori

Cadet

OK J.B., It looks like the Evinrude 8 hp, 4 stroke twin. I am only 36 and my heart is still in decent shape (I think) so I should be ok with the 83 lbs. Isn't the Evinrude made by Yamaha?? I found a website where they have them listed for $1,399 plus freight. What do you think ?? I also thought about a 9.9 but I think that the 8 should move my boat pretty well. Thanks for your input...you have really been very helpful. Take care buddy and I'll let you know how it works out.

JB

Hi. I don't know who makes that 'Rude 8. The larger "Evinrude" 4 strokes are made by Suzuki, but Suzi doesn't market a 4 stroke 8 so it could be Yamaha. The price you were quoted sounds to me like an excellent deal if it is the same engine as the 'Rude, or is a different twin. Yamaha is very proud of the light weight of all of their motors, and their reputation is excellent. I would be sure that it is a twin and that it does weigh in at the 83 or less pounds; then I would go for it.<br /><br />Fair sky and flat water.<br />JB
smile.gif

pugstori

Cadet

Hey JB...I just spoke with them and they said that the motor is a '99 model, brand new, no warranty. They said it is a twin but I looked at marineengine.com and it says that it is a single. What do you think ?? I also have this guy calling me with the merc 6hp for $1357 shipped with no tax. The '99 rude 8hp is $1399 plus $200 shipping. Sure is confusing. Thanks again.

JB

Yeah, Pugstori, it is confusing. The '99 "Rude" 4 stroke 8 is a single, the 2000 and 2001 brochures offer 8s that are twins. I suspect they were manufactured by different OEMs. The price you were quoted on the '99 is in line with nadaguides. A single, whether it is the 'Rude or the Merc 6, is going to be lighter and "more affordable" than a twin. I would still look for a best price on a 4 stroke twin.<br /><br />Good luck.<br />JB
smile.gif

pugstori

Cadet

Hey JB...another idea. What do you think of the 2000 Johnson 6hp, 2 stroke ?? I saw one new for $999 shipped with a one year warranty. I don't mind mixing the gas and they are light. Are they decent motors ?? Thanks.

pugstori

Cadet

Don't worry JB.....I'm going 4 stroke....thanks again for all of your help. Take care.

pugstori

Cadet

JB...just ordered a 2001 Yamaha 8 hp, 4 stroke, twin. Brand new, in box. Now I have to wait for it....7-10 days. One more week fighting the wind with my electric trolling motors !! Thanks again for all of your input. It was very helpful.