she overheated and now this...

CXrob

Cadet
Engine: 4.3L V6 OMC with FRESH WATER COOL<br /><br />Second day in the season and I'm off to a bad start....<br /><br />Ran the boat all day fine but on the way back she overheated and stalled.<br /><br />I refilled my FWC system and the engine now starts rough, blows white smoke, and the fluid level in the FWC drops.. I also ran my fingers in the valve cover and found milky oil. The oil on the dipstick looks ok.<br /><br />I'm no mechanic but suspect the overheating has created some damage. Can anyone clue me to as what is the best or worst case sceanrio and is there something I can do to further nail the problem before I have the marina look at it?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: she overheated and now this...

It's definitely a blown head gasket at minimum. There may be other damage like a cracked block, but engines are designed to fail at the gaskets first, so hopefully, the block is ok.<br />Water in the oil,oil in the water,both signs of a blown head gasket.

CXrob

Cadet

12footer thanks.<br /><br />Is it safe to leave the boat it this state or could having antifreeze in the head area cause more problems. My marina is backed up with work (2 to 3 weeks).<br /><br />Also, what price range should I expect this type of repair to cost me? <br /><br />I just bought this boat and after running [erfectly for 6 hrs this happens...what a dissapointment...

Little Bear

Seaman Apprentice

Try your auto mechanic on this one. Changing a head gasket is right up his alley and it my save some serious $$$$$.<br />Good Luck,<br />Little Bear