older 35 hp chrysler age?

clifbarn

Recruit
Yes how can I find out how old my motor is? It is a 35 hp runs good. But I would like to find the age so I can buy another prop. Any suggestions about a prop will be appreciated. If I change the prop. will it help my top end any. I am new to boating. I am trying to feel my way through it. I am very thankful for all help. Clifton

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: older 35 hp chrysler age?

You can find out by looking inside the engine pan. There will be a small silver plate on I think, the starboard side with the model number. But you need not worry--If it is a Chrysler, it is probably before 1980 and they all used the same prop. You have a choice of a 10 3/8 diameter by 11, 12, and 13 inch pitch. unless the prop to have is in very poor condition, changing the prop will not result in added performance. The 35 is so low on power, that you would only use the 11 inch pitch unless you were running it on a very light boat. The 45 and 55 hp engines used the 12 and 13 inch pitch props. But all engines had the same prop shaft so props are interchangeable from engine to engine.
If you are looking for a spare prop, look on ebay --they come up for auction fairly frequently and you should be able to get one cheaper than new.