Gale motor questions

FFScott6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello, I'm new here this evening. I just bartered for a boat with a Sovereign 60 motor. They were pulled from the water (running so I'm told by a fairly reliable source) at the end of the season 2004. So far I have found this model and serial number on the motor M-60DE10B & S-768798. I would like some backround on these numbers if someone can help me. Also, I have found manuals and parts books at KEN COOK, which I am ordering. Any additional tips would be GREATLY appreciated on this motor. From what I have found searching the internet so far if this motor really does run it is probably worth taking care of.
ANY OTHER THOUGHTS??? Thank you all!!!

PS as soon as I get pics I'll figure out how to post them!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Gale motor questions

it's a 1960 base on the OMC J/E fat 50 and 75, and has many interchangeable parts. that was our first big motor. don't remember exact year, early 60's. but it was a killer motor, would pull 2 to 3 skiers. liked gas, but it was cheap then. had it on a 16' Sportscraft Sportsman. had it 8 years never a minutes trouble, and it got a lot of use. everyday from May thru October.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Take a J/E V4-50 powerhead and midsection, put on a better carburetor, and a 75hp lower unit and you have a Gale 60. Good tough and reliable motors.

FFScott6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info so far.... I'm going to take a closer look at it today and tinker too. ie: check and operate cables etc... Hopefully get a couple of pics to post maybe take along a battery and see how it turns over! Well maybe i'll read on and get more "startup" info before I get ahead of myself.

Thanks and still looking for more opinions and ideas!

FFScott6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, Thanks for the links and all those who have read my post. As promised here is a picture.... This is my 1st attempt at posting a photo.

I have not tinkered much with it and am having trouble finding a hull mfg plate? But after several hours on the internet I think it might be an AristoCraft 1960 or so.... I am still waiting on the papers but the owner is vacationing right now...

Enjoy the photos...

Attachments

• MVC-647F1.JPG
    MVC-647F1.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 0
  • MVC-648F1.JPG
    MVC-648F1.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 0

FFScott6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey again,
I've been lurking in the forums for several days to see if many of my questions could be answered. You guys and gals are great... I have been able to build quite a library of real life experience to revive my classic boat.

I do have additional questions... about this Gale motor, Literally everyone talks about RPM when making changes or diagnosis of enigines, Where and how would I connect to on this motor (60de10b). I'll make a spot at the helm for a tach maybe next to the speedometer (it runs to a tube on the transom ?)

Oh and maybe someone can tell me how an over heating warning light/buzzer can be mounted to a Gale (I read a post on here somewhere that talked about upgrading a Johnson). I should have prefaced this post saying that I did purchase the master parts catalog and service manual from KenCook. Unless I missed it there is no mention to my questions.

Thanks for all the great information and experiences. I found that when I get frustrated with this rebuild I can always stop and turn to the "Stupid Human Tricks..." forum and realize I am not alone or just a good laugh.

Hopefully someone can help me today, Scott

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Tachometers are kind of tough to find for that motor. They have to connect to the magneto, and work with a 4 cylinder, two cycle motor. All the modern ones get their signal from the alternator, which you don't have.

That is a cool boat. Are you going to paint the motor the correct colors? Here is what it is supposed to look like. http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/frankr_photos/1960Galead.jpg?t=1187268097

I suppose you have figured out that is a 1960?

I was a full time mechanic for a Gale dealer when that motor was built, so I pretty much know them inside and out. I used to get paid for what I know, but now I give it away free. Can't beat the deal, huh? Just ask.

FFScott6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

F_R...
Thanks for the info. I'll start looking for that type of tach.

I like the blue, however.... I prefer to do "true" restorations whenever I do projects, so i'll likely go back to original colors. As a note I have a 1967 wheel horse tractor ongoing too...

What about the temp sensor? We probably won't be running her to hard, to often, but I am all about "insurance" if you will.

artherm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I believe the Gale's were made right here in Galesburg, Illinois. I believe my Lawn Boy mowers might have been made at the same plant. My dad bought a Gale for our fishing boat, in the 50's or 60's. It was white and chrome just like this one. Ours was a 35 or 40hp, electric start. This was a great motor with a lot of power. Ours was a short shaft. It actually overpowered our 14ft. Richline V-bow, so we reinforced the transom. My dad was a welder, so we made our own steering console. Great memories. That thing would fly. Not an ounce of trouble for many years of enjoyment.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I suppose you could put on a temp guage. Nice gadget, but not really worth much. Best insurance is a new water pump and forget about it. Who's going to keep their eyes glued to a guage? And the idiot lights and horns go off after it is already overheated....if they ever do ever go off. In the event of sudden overheating due to a failed water pump at high speed, the horn often blows AFTER the engine has siezed. It only takes a few seconds. Seen it many times.

Lowmaintenance

Recruit

Hello all,
New to the site. After much searching, this post most resembled the question I have. If in the wrong spot, please redirect. Also, please excuse my lack of proper terminology; new to boating.
I recently purchased a 60's MFG of unknown model ( tag reads X-2193 ).
The motor is supposedly a Gale Sovereign 60, though a tag on the hardware (bracket that connects to transom) reads Model:VXL-12R Serial:J2653740.
From what I have been able to find during searches, a VXL-12R is a 1966 Johnson? The cover says Gale Sovereign 60. It seems like it fits perfectly. It has key start (though not working) with pull backup (has the little door that opens to reveal the pull cord). It has power trim (supposedly will work with a battery, though seller said it needed another cylinder, in addition to the one it has, to have enough power to do that?). It has the generator option. Motor runs pretty well. I had the seller run it for me (with hose hooked up) before buying. He last ran it summer before last. Said he and 3 others routinely took it out on Lake Superior fishing. Stated it was a thirsty motor ("gets the same mileage idiling or wide open"). Also, that it took a while to pull up 1 skier, but would do it.
I've read the Gales were the poor mans version, so do the fancier options point to it being a Johnson? Does it simply have the wrong cover on it? Did someone possibly switch the mounting hardware from a Johnson onto a Gale?
I'm totally lost! I would greatly appreciate any info you are willing to share.
Thank You in advance.
By the way; Great site! A lot of knowledge and experience here!

jbjennings

Captain

Hey F-R, I couldn't see the pic....said something about the picture being deleted or moved.
JBJ

JT!

Petty Officer 1st Class

I recently purchased a 60's MFG of unknown model ( tag reads X-2193 ).
The motor is supposedly a Gale Sovereign 60, though a tag on the hardware (bracket that connects to transom) reads Model:VXL-12R Serial:J2653740.
From what I have been able to find during searches, a VXL-12R is a 1966 Johnson? The cover says Gale Sovereign 60. It seems like it fits perfectly. QUOTE]

I recently bought a gale sovereign 60 with a Johnson cover.

we should trade.

Lowmaintenance

Recruit

Interesting offer :^)
I should really find out what I have first before I horse trade ;^)
I do appreciate the reply, though!

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Google Tiny Tach...they make several models that will work with your outboard, they use a feed/signal wire that wraps around one of your plug wires. Temp gauges are too little, too late. Better to keep up with pump/impeller maintenance and check it often, before and after you get to the water. They're not as gas thirsty if you throttle up, get on plane and then throttle down a hair...at WOT throttle, they drink the gas like gravy. Nice stout motors though.

Lowmaintenance

Recruit

I found out that the previous owner did use the mounting hardware off a Johnson. He also added the generator. The motor is a Gale Sovereign 60. Had it out today and I thought it ran out pretty well. Tried to do some fine tuning with the low speed jets and got it to idle down pretty smooth.
The owner thought the boat was a Niagra model and said it would go approx. 28mph and that with a little time would pull a skier up.
I felt we were going between 30 and 40mph, but didn't have the speedometer hooked up (need an extension on the tube).

FFScott6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well... I'm Baaack!
It's been a long time since I posted. Been lurking alot over the last year. You long time boaters and some newbies have given me a world of information. Not to mention some trial and error (nothing major). I do owe some credit to "outboard books" for sending me the correct books for my Gale.

I have to tell ya a new water pump impeller, clean carb, good fuel, new plugs and clean (old points) and a half barrel of cold water.... and this old beast purrrrrred like a kitten!!! I'll only have a few adjustments too slow and fast idle. The links for "awakening a sleeping outboard," "linc & sync," were some of the best reading.

I did encounter one problem on her first trip out; the the shifter link slipped and locked in gear before I could tie off on the "T" dock. After 30minutes standing in 2ft of muck aNd 2ft of water I managed a repair (properly) on (or is in) the water. Before I dired off we christened her "Penny Lane" with a fitting bottle of high class booze from the era... Boones Farm! Without having to say we had about 20 onlookers laughing there *****e$ off.

"Penny Lane" ran like a champ the rest of the day!!! with no further adjsutments. Heck I even registered a nice plane at 18mph. (based on a 40+yo pitot tube speedo!) with 2 coolers and 3 people plus gear.

We launched at the waters of the Sassafrass river & Chesapeake Bay. A few miles south of the C & D canal.

Woohoo ain't this great family fun!!!!!