Progress made

Liberator 6

Seaman
All,
I used the attached flowchart and sure enough when the white/grn line was grounded and the ignition on, the coil kicked a spark and according to that, I read I need a new ignition sensor in the distributor. 87 350 Magnum is what I have. My only concern, is my ignition sensor has a large brass piece for the rotor to spin through, and this part doesn't seem to have that on there. Do I just swap the old brass piece for a new one? Or is the brass piece a seperate part?

http://www.iboats.com/Mercruiser_Ig...6529165--list_time.1186104441--view_id.270882

Thanks for all your time. You all are the only reason I haven't lit the boat on fire and pushed it down the driveway...

Attachments

• TB4troubleshooting.jpg
    TB4troubleshooting.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Progress made

I think I know what you have, but take a picture and post it. Would hate to compare apples to oranges.

Liberator 6

Seaman

Here is a picture. The part "link" above looks the same, just minus the brass piece which is viewable in the attached picture...

Attachments

• distributor.jpg
    distributor.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Yea, that's old stuff. Put the new one on in it's place. Then, make sure the metal ring on the rotor DOES NOT touch the sensor.
If I was doing it, I would remove the distributor, clean everything (including that rusty shaft) lube every thing, install the new sensor, install the rotor and then turn it and make sure it doesn't touch the sensor. If it does, it will destroy the sensor. Also, if it does, the rotor is bent....... Don't mess with it, replace it and be careful.

Liberator 6

Seaman

Yea, that's old stuff. Put the new one on in it's place. Then, make sure the metal ring on the rotor DOES NOT touch the sensor.
If I was doing it, I would remove the distributor, clean everything (including that rusty shaft) lube every thing, install the new sensor, install the rotor and then turn it and make sure it doesn't touch the sensor. If it does, it will destroy the sensor. Also, if it does, the rotor is bent....... Don't mess with it, replace it and be careful.

That picture was taken when I finally got the old rotor off. Everything is really clean now, lubed with dialectric grease on rotor shaft. The main question is - will the new ignition sensor have that brass piece?

Don S

question is - will the new ignition sensor have that brass piece?

Not that you will be able to see or identify.

Liberator 6

Seaman

Not that you will be able to see or identify.

Will the old brass piece just pull off the old one and insert onto the new one? I didn't see any that were sold seperately when doing the parts search.

Don S

I guess I don't have a clue to what this "Brass Piece" is.

Liberator 6

Seaman

Don, I got the new one at a local shop after a bunch of drama since I don't know the engine number (supposed to be on sticker which is missing and couldn't find it anywhere else). REGARDLESS - the OLD ignition sensors had the brass peice, the new ones don't... If you see an ignition sensor with brass peice it's obviously VERY old (Thunderbolt IV)...