Ted williams 7.5 HP

lovinfishin9

Recruit
I got a jon boatfrom my grandpa with a 7.5hp Ted williams motor. The motor runs excellent, but the propeller wont spin. if you put the motor in neutral and spin the propleller it is really stiff. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Ted williams 7.5 HP

Hmm...could be a couple of things.

When you have the engine running and you put it in gear, does anything at all happen? Does the engine keep running? If so, pull the prop and check the shear pin. If the shear pin is OK, then you'll need to drop the lower unit and check the driveshaft.

On the other hand, if the engine stops running suddenly when you put it in gear, it could be a damaged gearcase.

Finally, there's a clutch on that engine that is operated by that neutral/forward thing. If it's broken, that will do the same thing.

Give us the model number off that engine, and we'll be able to help more. There's an air-cooled 7.5 built by Eska, and a water-cooled one made by another company.

lovinfishin9

Recruit

i dont know the model number off the top of my head but ill get them when i go out to the garage. It is the air cooled model if that helps. The motor stays running when i put it in gear. When i spin the prop the driveshaft spins all the way through the shaft, so i was thinking it was something more towards the top.

CATransplant

Admiral

That outboard has a clutch mechanism at the top of the driveshaft. If the driveshaft turns when you manually turn the prop, but doesn't when the engine's running, that clutch is where to look. It will mean pulling the powerhead, I believe.

You'll be able to find exploded parts diagrams at www3.sears.com for your outboard. You'll need the model number, which has to be entered as 217.#####, using a period instead of the hyphen.

Sears has some parts, but probably not anything related to the clutch. For that, you'll need to visit certifiedpartscorp.com and call the number there, with the parts numbers you need....which you can get at the sears site.

lovinfishin9

Recruit

my grandpa kniows a guy that has a bunch of old motors and some parts, and he has parts for this motor, anything i need, so thats not a problem.

CATransplant

Admiral

That's a good thing, because parts are getting harder to find for it. Still, if you don't have a manual, have a look at those exploded view parts diagrams. They can be really helpful.

lovinfishin9

Recruit

the model number is 217-5889-0. I tore the motor apart but i didnt want to lose anything so i put it back together because i wasn't going to be able to work on it for a while. now the prop spins when i pull the pull start whether its in neutral or drive. i have no idea.