Prop only turns 1/4 rotation

bradj

Cadet
When I turn the key to start the starter engages but can not rotate the engine. Shifter is in neutral position I try to hand turn the prop and it only rotates about 1/4 turn. It will not make a full rotation. It does not rotate in any gear also.
I am new to this outboard motor mechanical stuff; any help would be greatly appreciated. It is a Force 120 1996 model.

Thank you for any help.

bradj

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop only turns 1/4 rotation

Most likely the starter or starter connections.Be sure all connections are clean and tight.Especially the main starter and ground wires.Don't forget at the battery.Most likely the starter gets real hot real quick.
It is normal for the prop to rotate 1/4 turn by hand in gear.You are not likely to move the motor by the prop.In neutral prop should rotate
freely.You may have to rotate prop to shift with the motor off.
You can remove the starter and have it tested at a place that does starters and alternators etc.You will probably find it needs a rebuild or replacement.

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can you turn the flywheel by hand? (igntion off, of course)

thelightning

Cadet

if shift handle is in neutral and u cannot rotate the prop there is something wrong with the shifting gears in the tail

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class

if shift handle is in neutral and u cannot rotate the prop there is something wrong with the shifting gears in the tail
Without turing the engine over, can he be sure he IS in neutral? Takes some rotation of the entire assembly to engage/release the clutch dogs.

Try turning the flywheel by hand. This elimintes the possibility of a seized power head, and should force the clutch dogs to disengage when the lever's in neutral.

bradj

Cadet

No, fly wheel does not turn by hand or starter. Checked linked seems o.k. Connection of linkage in engine area is moving when I move throttle.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

You are going to have to find out what is siezed up then. First start by removing all the spark plugs and try turning flywheel by hand if it still dont turn you should try it with the lower unit off.

bradj

Cadet

Prop does not rotate in neutral. I think maybe I need to be sure I am in neutral. How do I do this?
Thaks

bradj

Cadet

Thanks I will do this. Removing the plugs will release the pressure and it should turn easy then right?

bradj

Cadet

Plugs out fly wheel can not be turned by hand.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Your going to have to remove the lower unit. That will tell you what is either binding or siezed up. Even in gear with the plugs out you should be able to turn the flywheel by hand. Either the lower unit is siezed or the powerhead.

bradj

Cadet

Thank you Thank you for all the replies they were very helpful. After the plugs came out at first I could not turn the fly wheel, came back in the house had some coffee and I tried again. This time it turned, put the plugs back in and now I think I got the rest. The engine sat for a year so maybe thats why it was hard to turn. It is a little slow so I am going to remove the starter. One time the brushes in the starter were not making good contact because there was to much brush residue built up and the brushes were not making a good contection.

Thanks again.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Sounds like you have a siezed powerhead. I would still remove that lower unit to verify it is not the culprit. If it is the powerhead you should pour some Marvel Mystery oil into each of the cylinders and crank that over by hand with plugs in and let it sit for awhile. I would do a compression test on this motor to verify the extent of the damage. If you repeatedly tried starting a siezed motor with your starter chances are it is shot also beyond rebuilding.

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class

And pour a tablespoon or so of 2-stroke oil in each spark plug hole prior to turning the engine over any more. Lubricate those cylinders a bit!