what disolves 3M 5200??

OMCboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Somebody before me used gobs of 3M 5200 to seal the trim motor to the motor mount and when I removed the motor the case and rear cap came off but the front cap and the armature stayed - armature is 'trapped' by the front cap which is glued to the motor mount with the 3M. (I'm pretty sure its 3M as I have used it myself and the consistency is right) It's hard to explain, but there is no wiggle room to lift up 1 corner of the cover, it pretty much has to come straight out, and that 3M is good stuff.

Any ideas on what i can soak it in to disolve the 3M?

Edit: - preferably something that is generally available as I live in a fairly small city in BC - we have Canadian Tire and stuff like that, but no West Marine, etc...

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: what disolves 3M 5200??

Timely post since I just did a lot of investigation on the same topic. There are two solvents that are available, from what I've read both require a lot of effort, despite the claims.

I believe the better of the two is DeBond 2000 the other is called Anti-Bond 2015. You can order either from websites. I have not used either, but did buy the Anti-Bond 2015 at West Marine, although I returned it unused, since in the end I didn't use it.

OMCboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Zackman - my research also only turned up products that require a lot of effort. I'm starting to think that I am totally up the creek here - the positioning of this piece does not allow any working room at all. Basically I have removed whatever 3m I could and now it is all sandwiched between the 2 parts and there is no way to get anything in there......I'm considering soaking in lighter fluid or gasoline for a couple weeks....

hmmmm- brake cleaner? naw, evaporates too quickly.
I tried some acetone yesterday and while it seemed to make the contact surfaces of the 3m softer, it didn't dissolve it and didn't seem to work in at all which won't help me.

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class

From what I can tell, when 3M say it's permanent, they mean it. I talked to 3M about it, and they don?t recommend anything. They said they get calls all the time from people who yell at them for making a product that can?t be removed. I?m pretty sure the only chance you?re going to have is with the products I mentioned before.

As far as either of the two products mentioned above, from the best I can tell you have to be able to score the leading edge of the 5200 with something like a razor blade or piano wire. Spray the stuff and repeat again until it slowly begins to unbond.

But maybe you'll get luck (as I did) and it won't be 5200 that was used.

OMCboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

...a razor blade or piano wire. Spray the stuff and repeat again until it slowly begins to unbond.

...QUOTE]

This is why these forums are so great! I had not thought of a piano wire....I just might be able to get it started in there and work it around. If I have it soaking in 'something' while I'm doing it, maybe it won't re-bond behind the wire.....maybe....maybe....

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your going to use piano wire, get the smallest gauge you can. Wear good gloves or wind the wire around two separate wood dowels (3/4" works good). If you don't you'll cut your hands pretty good... Don't ask me how I know.