81 evinrude 115 shift shaft ????'s

barbwire44

Seaman
I am going to tackle my first water pump change on this 115 rude and have a manual and it looks pretty simple , other than the shift shaft disconnect, the shaft is pretty much in the middle below the powerhead and I don''t know hot to really get to it to disconnect it to remove the lower, any tips or tricks for this???? it is a 1981 115 evinrude, and the manual just says some models the shift shaft may require dissassembly...LOL!!!! I looked at it went oh...... I need help.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 81 evinrude 115 shift shaft ????'s

The 81 model has a threaded pin with a bolt head that you reach from the starboard side under the carburetors. You may find that disconnecting the cables helps you to reach it.

Look at the "cylinder and crankcase" diagram for your motor to help visualize the setup:

http://epc.brp.com/default.aspx?brands=ej&lang=e

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Also having a little 1/4th drive socket with a swivel adapter and extension really helps.On mine i just backed the bolt out just enough to drop the shift rod.The bolt stayed in place and it was easy to get it started when i put the lower back on.

barbwire44

Seaman

Gary, thanks that helps I figured it had a nut on the other side and couldn't figure out how I was gonna do this. I just purchased the motor and fired it up on muffs last night and the pee-hole just dripped water, So I assume the water pump needs replaced. All my other motors have a pee hose and they usually start blasting water within seconds after ignition, but this thing I ran for maybe 2 minutes and it never made a stream just a constant drip.