How much damage is to much

crazysammy

Cadet
Ive have a 1976 Reniell Cruiser 22' long. We got it on Craigslist for 400 bucks with trailor and outdrive. Motor was shot, wasnt winterized. floor had a couple soft spots. so we figured lets get it all easy fixxes for us. well to make a long story short the whole transom and motor stringers were shot. But the transom fiberglass is still in good shape. We are taking our time on this. My question is is this boat really worth it or should we just sell the gear we have and get another.
But on a good note dad and i are having a blast doing this.

Thanks

Sam

vandy21

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How much damage is to much

If you're having a blast doing it, then its worth it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you have to look at it from 2 directions.

good project, having a blast, and will have a 30 year old boat, you have the pride of knowing you saved it. if you plan to keep it forever, this is good.

financially, cost of repair, repowering, you will never recoup the majority of the money and time invested. the cost of repowering could make a really good down payment on a newer running boat.

this is totally a decision the 2 of you have to make.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

It can cost a great deal of money to buy an outdrive and motor, it normally costs less to get a complete boat with a running motor and good outdrive. If all of it is trash, then you could be into it several thousand $$$ or more before it hits the water again and that will be at least next year.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I wouldn't bother. Even when that boat was new, it wasn't a very high quality boat. How do I know? I used to own the bigger brother of that same boat...a 1975 24' bought brand new.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

whole transom and motor stringers were shot

Put it back on CL for $100..not worth what it will take in the way of the small stuff to fix

crazysammy

Cadet

Well its a little late to put it back up on craigslist. We already have the floor and transom pulled out along with the stringers. We are almost that the stage that we need to start putting the wood back in the floors and start glassing again. the outdrive works fine but we are going a head and resealing everthing(already have the kits for this). And repowering is fine we already have a marine 302 lined up to install. Lucky for me and Lucky for my dad this is a partnership so it shouldnt actually be to bad for us we are figuring about 1 grand apiece to get it going, and looking good.

Ill post a link later to the website im putting together on the story of the project. it will be loaded with pics and our fun stories about it. we might even put up a web cam so people can laugh as we work :)

thanks guys you have helped alot more than you guys know with everything on this forum.

Sam

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there's nothing more fun than taking an old hag, clean her up, redressing her, and she turns into something you are proud to be seen with.

MikDee

Banned

there's nothing more fun than taking an old hag, clean her up, redressing her, and she turns into something you are proud to be seen with.

tashasdaddy, You don't mean my wife, do ya? :D

Actually she's a few yrs youger then me, maybe I'm the old hag :eek:

By the way, I always liked the styling of a Reniell, even though I knew they were an off brand name.