Alternative to Thermarest Hotbond

KRS

Banned
Hello all,

I'm looking for an alternative to Thermarest's Hotbond adhesive. I've got extra patches, but the glue at 3 patches for $10 is too steep.

I live in the desert SouthWest and thorns are a part of life, so I've got a few patches.

Any thoughts? I've wondered about a hot glue gun? Any thoughts?

KRS

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Re: Alternative to Thermarest Hotbond

Not sure what your application is but for a good epoxy adhesive, I use a product by Loctite. Part Number 21425. There is 10 individual packets, bit expensive but works excellent. It sets up in about 5 minuets and fully cured in 24 hrs. Anyplace that handles Loctite products should be able to obtain it for you.

SBN used it to mount a strobe light to his fiberglass top. Haven't heard if it still is holding or not.

rwise

Captain

Slime, just put it in the tire/s and forget about it. (tube or tubeless)

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

rwise:
I think he's talking about Thermarest ground pads (under your sleeping bag)

I have a couple of thermarests, a 3/4 ultralight and a full length mummy shaped one for alpine climbing. I have patched my 3/4 with seam sealer that you use on tent seams. It stays flexible and has held up well.

KRS

Banned

Yes, I am talking about the sleeping pad repair, I should have added that!

Thank you guys,

KRS

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Oooops, don't think you need that Loctite epoxy for that repair. I've used duct tape for tears in my sleeping bag. I don't care what it looks like as long as it keeps me warm when needed.

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class

you can get hotmelt glue and guns (the commercial stuff) in two different temperatures. If the lower of the two doesn't melt your outer skin, it might just do the trick.

If that's too hot, you can get even lower temp hotmelt glues by 3M from places like McMaster Carr, but the applicators are a little pricey, starting around $75. It would take a few thorns and standard patches/glue to cover that.

rwise

Captain

Yes, I am talking about the sleeping pad repair, I should have added that!

Thank you guys,

KRS

:D that would make a dif :D I like the duct tape idea!