6amp statoer to a 12amp

MiamiU

Cadet
Need to replace my stator. It came stock with a 6amp. Was looking on another website and they list a 12 or a 6amp for my engine. All of the other ignition parts are the same part #'s.

Can I upgrade to the 12 amp with out any troubles?

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 6amp statoer to a 12amp

you dont mention the eng yr or size ,BUT.I'll assume its older like 80's ,and you wont be able to change without a new flywheel,and an expensive regulator/rectifier that will mount on top of the block where the littte cap is ,it would take place of the cap to be cooled,

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would think if all the numbers were the same, including the flywheel, except for the stator, it would be no problem.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

You did not provide a model number so we don't know what motor you have.

Normally in older Johnson-Evinrudes the 6 amp system was not regulated but the 9 and 12 amp systems were. If you do not have a regulator and increase the charging system to a constant 12 amps, you may boil over your battery and maybe fry any electronics you have.

MiamiU

Cadet

It's a 1975 Evinrude 85hp 85993E.

It's not a big deal. I was just thinking that if it would work, why not for the extra $20.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Actually it'd be a nice upgrade but like Seahorse said -- your motor doesn't have a regulator. You can add the water cooled reg/rectifier and it should be fine.

MiamiU

Cadet

So I would not have to change the flywheel? Just order the 12amp stator and the water cooled reg/rectifier?

Anyone have the part # for the water cooled reg/rectifier?

How hard is it to install? Would there be instructions in the manual I have for this engine?