Large Bridge in MN over the Mississippi River down

OldMercsRule

Captain
Sorry Willy, this is only on Fox news!! Cars/trucks in the water a real mess (Minneapolis). JR

dhath

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Large Bridge in MN over the Mississippi River down

Wow that looks real bad............ Some contractor is going to be in big trouble over that one!!!

rogerwa

Commander

This is unbelieveable. This is a MAJOR artery, one that I have crossed thousands of times. I have not heard from all of my family members yet. I am pretty confident I know someone on this bridge as it was rush hour and work downtown with a major employer. It will be hard to believe if the fatality count is not large..

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,291790,00.html

muskyone

Master Chief Petty Officer

i'm watching it on the news really bad

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

My brother was in Grand Marias and heading down here today. Haven't heard from him yet, left a message on his cell. I don't think he'd be going thru Minneapolis, but...:(

The schoolbus survived the collapse, so at least some good news there.

Addendum: Looking at the map, I think it would be really odd to go thru Minneapolis to get from Duluth to Madison.

treedancer

Commander

They were working on this bridge using a pile driver, notice how rusty it looks in this picture. I understand it is about forty years old, we have some over the Mississippi here in the St Louis area, sure hope they are better shape then that one. I have driven over that bridge many times in the nineties; we had a terminal off of University Street not to far from the bridge.:(

i35wmiss02ku1.jpg

rogerwa

Commander

The work being performed was only roadwork. There was no pile driving being done. Potholes, resurfacing, etc..

KaGee

Admiral

Some how, some way, some bone head will blame George Bush.:rolleyes:

vandy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

My aunt drives over that bridge everyday, I'm glad she wasn't on it. My condolences go out to those whose friends or family my have been involved.

ricksrster

Commander

It makes you wonder about what bridge inspectors do with their reports.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

40 years for a yankee bridge sounds steep. Cause, you know they throw salt on it every winter when it freezes.

bass buster

Seaman

This is unbelieveable. This is a MAJOR artery, one that I have crossed thousands of times. I have not heard from all of my family members yet. I am pretty confident I know someone on this bridge as it was rush hour and work downtown with a major employer. It will be hard to believe if the fatality count is not large..

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,291790,00.html

rogerwa...I hope you have heard from all your family members, and that they are safe and sound. Hopefully your co-workers are ok too.

This is a major story...just heard about it on the news here in Milw. I think I have crossed that bridge while trucking into MN....very scary to think of it collapsing :eek:

I've seen many surprising and shocking things on the road doing my job as a trucker. These tragedies are always sad to see :(

God bless the victims and their families.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Sympathies go out to anyone involved in this or with family caught up in it. The story is top of the news in the UK.

It looks horrendous from what we are seeing. At this time BBC confirm seven fatalities, I pray that figure doesn't rise come morning :(

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Oh, Lordy! :(

I have this great fear when crossing bridges already. I was only a mile or so from that bridge that was knocked down into Tampa Bay back in '80-'81 and would have been on it in about a minute.

I may never drive over a large bridge again.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

40 years ago this December the Silver Bridge in Gallipolis Ohio collapsed. It too was a big disaster. At least with this bridge there was survivors.

As with the Ohio incident, the trucks look like little Tonka toys. After seeing the distruction myself in Ohio, I too have had a bit of problem crossing bridges with that thought in my mind. Now add another to it.....

KaGee

Admiral

There's some speculation this morning that combining the traffic placing all the weight to one side in addition to the heat may have played a part in this disaster. :confused:

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

I drove over the bridge 26 hours before it collapsed with my whole family in the truck and boat in tow. It's a very eerie feeling. I'm still shaken up when I think about what could of happen.

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

Actually we were quite lucky that the bridge was down to a single lane each way during the surface repair with reduced speeds around 10 mph a lot of us who travel the span regulary have been using alternate routes the slower speeds and recuced traffic saved many who were able to ride the wave and stop much easier.
This could have been much worse.

Some how, some way, some bone head will blame George Bush.:rolleyes:

Actually it only took 4 minutes......

I normally try to stay out of Politcs but since this is Iboats Dockside chat what the hey.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2007/08/leftist_dementia_blaming_bush.html