2002 Sea Doo XP Help

jceee

Cadet
Last weekend one of my friends continuously rolled and subsequently sank my jet ski a 2002 Sea Doo XP. It did not completely submerge but the entire engine compartment was full of water. Heres what I did...

Took the jet ski out and drained all the water. I then pulled the plugs and turned the engine over blowing out as much water as I possibly could. I continued to do this for a while and dried and cleaned the plugs and after a short time was able to start the engine. Yesss!!!.... but wait

Tried to launch the sea doo and it would start but would just not run smooth at all, figured still some water in the engine, probably needs new plugs....

Buy new plugs and put them in....Also I checked the gas and gas bowl and there is no water in the gas that I can tell....The bowl has no water at the bottom...Launch the jet ski again and same thing, it just wont run correctly. This time however after running the machine for about 30 minutes I can get it to go to 4500 rpm and 30 mph, but absolutely nothing more. The engine seems as if it is bogged down. Also if this means anything to anyone..I can make a sharp turn right and it will run at 30mph, but if I make a sharp turn left it boggs down to low rpms....

Also the engine is not heating up...it is warm to the touch after 30 minutes of use... After that I pulled the new plugs and found that the plug closest to the front of the machine is carboned up but appears to be ok. The plug closer to the rear however looks completely new (the same as when I put it in) as if it were not getting gas....I did also check and both plugs are firing correctly. I also tried to blow more water out of the cylinders but there is no more water to get out.

Is it possible that it is currently only running on one cylinder?...So knowing what you all know now...what is my fix? Please help is greatly appreciated.....

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2002 Sea Doo XP Help

follow the plug wires back to the coil box and get the water out of it it's probably full

jceee

Cadet

Thanks for your reply...

I will check that but both plugs are getting spark....do you think that the coil is still likely the problem?

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

check it then let me know,, I know they have spark but that isn't the issue it's how strong the spark is, water will cause the coil to fire weird and weak

jceee,does that clean cylinder have compression???? Take the plugs out,ground the plug caps on the holders and crank the engine a few times with the throttle wide open...

jceee

Cadet

im going to check both of those things and get right back, thanks guys

jceee

Cadet

Just got some time to do that....

Checked the coil and it was dry however I still took a hair dryer and dried it.....Put the machine in again with new plugs and same exact problem....30mph at 4500 rpm....

Also the clean cylinder does have compression.....

Any other idea's???

Thanks

maybe ill take a video and let you guys listen to it....see what i can do

jceee

Cadet

I went through everything I could do without taking the engine apart and it still doesnt work....Gave in and had to bring it to the sea doo dealership. Thanks for the help and for the sake of the forum, I will let everyone know what they "say" the actual problem is.

jceee

Cadet

Thanks again for all the help....Brought my ski to the local dealer and they went through the machine. They stated that the reed housing was cracked and that there was water throughout the engine. Charged me $1000.00 (jeez) to fix a 3000.00 machine. So a bunch of you were dead on...Thanks for the help...hope this helps people in the future