Did a balance test; #2 is dead but has great compression...but water coming out exhau

Temu

Recruit
Motor is a 70 horspower Force, good compression in all three, but won't fire in #2...where is that water coming from out of the exhaust? Exhaust manifold? Cracked block/cylinder? Additionally, what if I desire to upgrade to a more prominent engine manufacturer...is it an easy transfer? Thank you for any help you can offer me!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Did a balance test; #2 is dead but has great compression...but water coming out e

WElcome to iboats, Temu...Yes, it should be normal for a portion of the water to be expelled out of the exhaust.

The dead cylinder: switch another coil with the dead one, and see if the dead cylinder moves with the coils.
If not, could be the CDI box.
Another motor: It depends upon where you got the other motor and what came with it.Reason being, the controls will have to be changed-out also.
The transom will surely need to be re-drilled and the old mounting holes plugged and sealed... Not a biggie as far as swapping-out motors goes. Par for the coarse.

but it is do-able in a day with a come-along and strong fishin bud to assist. not a technically-challenging task, but you might want to make sure you have all the stainless hardware and tools you'll need at the ready.

Temu

Recruit
Re: Did a balance test; #2 is dead but has great compression...but water coming out e

Thanks 12footer for the input...problem is that the #2 has enough spark to set you on your butt! Seems the cylinder is "washed-out"; just can't figure where the water is coming from...it actually seems the water is compressing and causing vapor-like smoke.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Thanks 12footer for the input...problem is that the #2 has enough spark to set you on your butt! Seems the cylinder is "washed-out"; just can't figure where the water is coming from...it actually seems the water is compressing and causing vapor-like smoke.
Woah! Quite a different matter. It's normal for water to exit with the exhast -- but water in a cylinder is bad news. Carefully pull the head, so that you can inspect the gasket for signs of blow-by, and the head for cracks. Also pull the manifold, as I suspect this is where the problem is. The manifold is where heat from the head is exchanged,and I'll wager there is a problem with the gasket, manifold/crankcase mating surfaces. When you remove it (a tough, thankless job, BTW), you'll notice seperate water and exhaust channeling.
Look for discoloration on the mating surfaces after you have inspected the gasket and it's surface for discoloration, indicating a leak.

If the gaskets, mating surfaces and head appear to have been ok, you may have a crack in the cylinder wall, or the block under the manifold. The cylinder walls aren't very likely to be cracked, given the equal and high compression numbers.