Big Time Flywheel Problems

steve83073

Cadet
I have a 1987 9.9 merc I was replacing the trigger when I pulled (with a puller) the flywheel I noticed that both the magnets are cracked I can only assume that this happened when the trigger broke. Is there anyway to replace the magnets or somehow repair them? I've replaced almost everything on this motor and the wife is going to kill me if I put anymore money into this motor.

Tadd_P

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Big Time Flywheel Problems

sorry buddy. It was most likely that the flywheel magnets destroyed your trigger not vice versa. And as for replacing the magnets not an option according to my manual. Flywheel for that shouldnt set you back that much. I have a 115 outboard and picked one up for $70 i think i bought it at nicksoutboardmarine.com he has a lot of used parts. Can also try outboardexchange.com he has a ton of parts too 46000 sq ft good luck!

micbaca

Recruit
Re: Big Time Flywheel Problems

Steve,

I had the same problem on a 40 hp 2 stroke. Except I think the stator caused it. Anyways, I'm looking for magnets or flywheel or both. Please let me know if you find a solution because I'm "in the same boat".

thanks