fd-10 electric startr& ring gear problem

watosh

Cadet
where can i find elect startr and ring gear for 1956 johnson model fd-10 15 hp. its too good to throw away im too old & broke up to pull start it<> but i still lik to fish..thks for help

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: fd-10 electric startr& ring gear problem

It might be the same as the later '50's 18hp's? I'm not sure, if it is they'll be easy to find. If not it might be tough as that's a rare engine as that's the only year they made it. The next year they went up to 18hp and for many years after that.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

watch ebay, but electric starts for that vintage was rare. compared to pull starts. also call tcoutboad.com. i've had 2 55 15hp they were the best motors i've ever owned.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I really believe that there are more requests for info where to get a starter kit than there ever were starter kits made in the first place.

watosh

Cadet

watch ebay, but electric starts for that vintage was rare. compared to pull starts. also call tcoutboad.com. i've had 2 55 15hp they were the best motors i've ever owned.
thks for your reply--cant figger out the tcoatboad.com..possibl some error? thks art

watosh

Cadet

It might be the same as the later '50's 18hp's? I'm not sure, if it is they'll be easy to find. If not it might be tough as that's a rare engine as that's the only year they made it. The next year they went up to 18hp and for many years after that.
wood be great if same as 18hp..do shar lots of parts --wonder if someone knows--it is true this only yr(56) for thes motor--it is a great thing(good one)..long stroke lowr speed(4krpm)..torquer.really pulls strts prety easy as pulling goes.thanks

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Post your question over at the Ask A Member board at http://www.aomci.org
They can tell you for sure. They have a free classifieds page and there are several outfits on their Links page that still sell NOS parts. I would think that a bracket/ring gear/starter for any 18 hp up through about 1962 would work...trick will be finding the bracket, the starter should be a stock item. Once you get it tuned, it should start with very little effort on the first pull after it warms up. I have three variations of that motor, from 56-62, and they only take about 3 pulls dead cold to fire off. Course you could just take along a younger fishing buddy. I'm trying to teach my choc lab to pull the rope, but no go so far.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Better watch it! The starter brackets are not alll alike. The 1956 15 takes a 304251 bracket. I don't have enough books to make comparisons but can tell you this: Johnsons and Evinrudes take different brackets. Reason: different hoods.

Also, IF the 15 and 18 Johjnsons are the same, it would still only fit up through 1958. Reason: different hoods.

watosh

Cadet

thanks for your help--we both spelled it wrong..my wife figgered it out and i found the site..thanks agin

watosh

Cadet

thanks guys for all ur help if i cant fly now ill nevr be able to..