Keel wear

sabbett4

Seaman Apprentice
I've noticed that my keel is starting to wear a little...nothing major, about 4 inches where it's starting to show wood a little. I was thinking about just putting some resin over it, but I would like to protect it a little better than that. I am aware of the products that are for sale, but can't see spending that kind of money for a little problem. Also, I have keel rollers, and all of those products do not promote buying if you have these.
If I put some fiberglass and resin, is there something I could put over that to add for protection...kind of a "make-shift" keel protector. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Keel wear

Purchase a keel protector after the repair... they are cheap and work.

reelfishin

Captain

A keel protector would be a good choice if your running where you will need to protect the keel from wear. I don't know about how cheap they are though, the best price I've seen for even a short piece was around $90, the longer ones run as high as $300 or more.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if it's showing wood, i would not call it minor. even if it is a wooden boat, with glass over it. the water will get in there and blister the glass, and rot the wood. you don't say what kind of boat.

sabbett4

Seaman Apprentice

I definitely jumped the gun by saying that wood was showing...it's the gel coat that's worn, and slight fiberglass showing. I have a bass boat, and I believe it's caused by the trailor. I don't mind spending the money on a Keel protector if it's necessary, but again, I keep hearing not to get one if you have a keel roller on your trailor.

Bondo

Staff member

You can do the same thing the Canoers do,.......

Epoxy a Strip of Kevlar on it,......... It'll be Bullet-Proof..........

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

I keep hearing not to get one if you have a keel roller on your trailor.

Do you ever plan on beaching, I do all the time, Keel Gaurd or Kevlar like BOND-O says. Most definitly- Make it so:D because resistants is futile!:D

reelfishin

Captain

Not that a keel guard of some sort isn't in order, but if your trailer is causing the damage, I'd take a serious look at the trailer and why. It may just need either some new keel rollers or maybe just the addition of a few more.

I just re-fitted one that I have here, the way the trailer was made, there was no rollers and no way to mount them. The forward keel would hit when loading on a steep ramp. It would hit the forward cross member where the tongue intersected with a pair of bolts and a clamp. I had to drill two access holes in the tubing and add an adjustable keel roller to that point and one on each cross member. The problem is solved and the boat glides on way easier and with no chance of damage. The trailer was a Load Rite Bandit with only two bunks and a plastic keel guard on the rear cross member. I also made up two new bunks that extend farther to the rear as well. When loading, the boat contacts the beveled ends of the bunks just as the keel touches the rear roller and when it's completely on the trailer, the rear of the bunks extend about an inch past the transom for good support. I also added a single clamp on roller about midway between the bow stop and the front cross member on the tongue.

drewpster

Commander

I own this ancient tri-hull.

thunder.jpg

When I checked the keel I was able to easily push a flat screwdriver through it due to beaching wear. The area was soft so I used a grinder to remove the wet and damaged area of the keel. I then used a sanding wheel with the grinder to remove the gelcoat and I tapered the area back away from the damaged area to a size about three times the size of the area needing repair. I then opened up the slot in the keel made by the damage and I began by filling the slot with marine grade polyester resin thickened with milled fibers and cut up pieces of cloth. I kept a plastic spreader handy and I kept pushing thickened resin into the area until it began to kick. I then mixed up another batch and I kept up the process until I ended up with a thick mass of resin, filler and cloth filling and reinforcing the open slot. I then patched the outside of the keel using cloth and resin. I sanded the area smooth and coated the outside with gelcoat. The repair area does not match and it took allot of sanding to get it smooth. I used watertite filler to fair it further and get it smooth. I later painted the entire bottom to match things up. I basically reinforced the keel by thickening the repaired area. I no longer worry about beaching.