Pics of soon to be 1st boat

crossent

Cadet
I've been looking for a starter boat for my family. It is an 86 vip kona with 124 hours on it. Not a whole lot of info on this boat available. It is a 140hp mercruiser I/O. Floor feels solid except where the ski locker hole was cut in slightly to the right of center and if you bounce on the lid it flexes just a little. Not my first choice in color scheme but for $1,300 you can't be to picky.I think it's a good boat for the money. A great wealth of info here and plenty to learn on my part. Hope to get on the water soon.
Mike

dad's boat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Pics of soon to be 1st boat

great looking boat, the guys on this web site are a great help and freindly.

rogerwa

Commander

Looks pretty clean.. You could probably part it out for well more than $1300.

dave68iou1

Seaman

Seems like a real nice find for the money! Good luck with it!

jimyoung

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great looking boat...like the truck and camper too.......

wncrjb

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it runs as good as it looks, I'd say it's a steal.
Good luck and enjoy it.....

crossent

Cadet

I know I have to do some service before I go out(Been sitting for 1 1/2 yrs). Need to get a mercruiser manual. Which out drive do I have? Drive ser# is6926995 and has a ratio of 1.98. Good or bad?
Thanks in advance
Mike

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

appears to be a well maintained boat, and well worth $1300. i would rather see a 4.3 L in it. but for a starter will be fine. service outdrive, and before starting the engine, if it has not been already started, be sure to prime the oil pump.

your questions about the engine and outdrive, will be best answered in the merc/vovlo forum. DonS is the guru over there, if he tells you something, it is so.
http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If that is the original upholstery, which it appears to be, then that boat has been extremely well cared for most of it's life. Outstanding condition for that age boat!

The engine is for someone else to discuss, but have a mechanic take a quick look (the mechanic you'd have do the service) unless you know engines pretty well.

For that price, you're OK one way or the other.