1957 Johnson Javelin 35hp Rebuild (LU)

jdconnel

Recruit
Ok, I have all the parts I need and about to dive into a lower unit rebuild.
I have recently rebuilt my carb and that looks to be much happier.

I remember seeing at some point a thread that mentioned a nice knock out tool (2 stage rod) to help remove one of the bushing??
I have searched and searched and can't seemed to find that thread again, or a mention of the two diameters (Or diameter of round stock and the turned down section and length).

I did find mention of a "5/16" threaded rod" but, since I have a neighbor with a nice shop, I figured I would make a nice tool.

Also any other helpful hints before I tear into this thing would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
James

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1957 Johnson Javelin 35hp Rebuild (LU)

e-bay Item number: 190136640931

jdconnel

Recruit

Cool. Thanks... Prob cost me $10 in beer to get my buddy to make one.

Is there anything else special I should need for this project?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Dunno what you are going to find once you get in there. Seal kit for sure. They have them here at iboats. There are a couple of bearings that are a challenge to get out without special tools, but they usually don't need replacement unless it's full of rusty water. By then you have more serious problems.

larky

Petty Officer 1st Class

a tip i read in a manual is if you remove the pinion gear and all those little roller bearings fall out you will have to hold them in place with some grease to get the pinion gear back in, unless you have six arms growing off your shoulders:)
good luck

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

BTW, your bushing comes out the bottom rather than the top as the ebay pic seems to show. Some models do come out the top. Also see if you can find some 3M Scotch-Grip Rubber & Gasket Adhesive #847, BRP P/N 776964. It's the stuff they use to glue aircraft carriers, railroad bridges, and sky-scrapers together with, I think. You can get it from your JohnnyRude dealer; or Grainger or McMaster-Carr for about half as much. Be generous with it on the spaghetti seal.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

There's roller bearings in the '57 35hp LU above the pinion gear??? I have 2 of those engines but have never opened the LU. Are they only in the larger engines as they're not in the smaller ones?

larky

Petty Officer 1st Class

my 59' 35hp has them, so i maybe mistaken about the 57'. or i just might be calling them the wrong name, they are cylindrical rollers that are around the pinion gear.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Yep, I think there's actually 2 needle bearings on the pinion. The '56 30hp only had a conical roller bearing.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Must be the bigger engines with more thrust. My '58 10 does not have them. (or maybe that's why I've been having so many troubles with my LU!)

wbeaton

Commander

I think the lower unit problems with the '58 10 hp is due to the switch to the smaller lower unit of the 7.5 hp.

FR, do you have experience with the bearing tool? Does it work well? It sounds like it would be easier than what I've been doing.