Noob..looking at a Wellcraft...need advice

Dan102061

Cadet
Just signed up and this looks like a great board.

Tomorrow, I'm looking at a 1993 Wellcraft Excel 20 DX. It's an outboard with a Yamaha 115. The whole setup has less than 100 hours on it.

In general, is this a good setup for running around New England lakes? Does this boat have wood stringers and floor that I should be worried about? Is there anything else that I should be on the lookout for, when looking at this boat?

PS. They want $5000 for it, with a trailer and all the canvas.

Thanks!!
Dan

945639474_04f34b86ff.jpg

MikDee

Banned
Re: Noob..looking at a Wellcraft...need advice

It don't get much better then this! A wellcraft is a fine made boat! Did you ever hear of the Wellcraft "Scarab" world offshore record holder driven by Betty Cook? That build quality, & technology, just trickles down through the rest of the line. It is just the right size for most any body of water, to provide a smooth, fast, stable, dry ride. A great choice for a starter boat, that you could keep forever, unless you want a cabin, or to live off it, it is also a good package for trailering. Price isn't bad either if it's in that good a shape, with the included trailer, & covers, are the icing on the cake! Good Luck, Mike

Mr. Ross

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would do a thorough check of the stringers and transom. Wellcraft has had some issues beginning in the late 80's into the mid to late 90's depending upon the boat model. According to the factory rep I spoke with this spring, they now use all composite components.

The engine hours are probably not as relevant with your purchase as the way the boat was stored ie dry bilge etc...

Dan102061

Cadet

I would do a thorough check of the stringers and transom. Wellcraft has had some issues beginning in the late 80's into the mid to late 90's depending upon the boat model. According to the factory rep I spoke with this spring, they now use all composite components.

The engine hours are probably not as relevant with your purchase as the way the boat was stored ie dry bilge etc...

Thanks for the feedback! One friend suggested I stay away from any boat with wood hull components. Thoughts?

This boat has very little water time, and a lot of covered trailer time.

Exactly how do I inspect the wood stringers and/or transom?

studlymandingo

Commander

Grab the motor and give it a good hard push, then pull back up; any flexing of the transom would indicate a problem. You can take a plastic mallet and tap around on the transom and listen for a dull thud, this would indicate wetness or rot. Get inside the boat and step hard and bounce, you should feel only a firm solid surface, any flex would indicate trouble.

That is a great looking boat, there are several in this area that see regular duty. If this one is in good shape, 5K isn't a bad price at all!​

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just signed up and this looks like a great board.

Tomorrow, I'm looking at a 1993 Wellcraft Excel 20 DX. It's an outboard with a Yamaha 115. The whole setup has less than 100 hours on it.

Where was this boat for these past 14 years? With only 100 hours on it, you won't have any dry rot issues if parked somewhere warm and dry. Make sure that Yami 115 has enough power for you. I believe most boats of that era had wood stringers.

I have a 1994 Excel 20 SL, nice boat. Basically the same boat, but mine is the cuddy I/O version. It handles the waves well and I still get complements on its looks. Overall, it is a comfortable boat.

Dan102061

Cadet

Where was this boat for these past 14 years? With only 100 hours on it, you won't have any dry rot issues if parked somewhere warm and dry. Make sure that Yami 115 has enough power for you. I believe most boats of that era had wood stringers.

I have a 1994 Excel 20 SL, nice boat. Basically the same boat, but mine is the cuddy I/O version. It handles the waves well and I still get complements on its looks. Overall, it is a comfortable boat.

Dave,

Thanks for the reply.

The boat was owned by an elderly man in Florida, and sat on the trailer (covered) up until 3 years ago, when it was brought up to Massachusetts.

In the last 3 years, it's been used twice, and still sits on the trailer, covered.

Wish I better versed at checking out these wood components!!

Dan

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

I think most boats were built using wood components up until recently (last 7-10 years or so). Thats most boats, though I think a few probably got away from wood before then. I have a Wellcraft (see signature) that still looks great. Everyone that sees it says in astonishment, "Its how old!?" :D

The primary owners did a great job keeping her in tip top shape.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I have a 1988 23' Wellcraft CC & love it. Itis overbuilt if anything.

Mr. Ross

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Dan,

Here is what I found, keep in mind I am not trying to bash Wellcraft as I have owned a very nice 1977 250 Nova that was built like a tank and was looking at others to purchase when I discovered a problem.

I have seen the limber holes not well sealed and poor glass work covering the wood stringers. Once water is absorbed by the non-marine plywood they use it is not going to come out easily. More than likely it will rot the wood first.

The advise you have been given here about checking the hull is good and if there are no issues found you should be OK. Take a small pointy tool with you and try to poke it into the stringer someplace such as a limber hole. You may be able to do the same thing with the transom.

Look up under the gunnels to see if they used something other than SS sheet metal screws to join the hull and deck together. If that is what you see, take a good look at the rub rail to ensure its integrity. If the boat was seldom used, I doubt this will be a problem area.

Best of luck!

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

I had a 1997 Excel 23' Walkaround, very very happy with it until the day I sold it, the new owner is also loving the boat. Nice boat.