9.8 merc how hot is too hot? HELP!

jbjennings

Captain
Fellows,
I pulled the powerhead and found no blockages of any kind, the upper tube grommet was fine and no trash or constrictions of any kind were found. It appears it's pumping plenty of water with the new pump housing, seals, etc. I even sealed the upper tube and intake tubes as suggested by previous veiwers. My question is this-- Should the tell-tale stream be warm or hot? Also, on the starboard side of the engine there is a small exhaust plate and behind it between the plate and the crank housing it immediately gets so hot that I can't hold my hand on it for more than a few seconds. Other than that, the block is pretty cool. The cylinders are nice and cool, the main exhaust plate is cool, the spark plug cover is nice and cool. However, the crankcase seems to get hot:confused: between the crankshaft part of the housing and the exhaust plates. Should this happen or is it normal for the head to get hot here because there's not any water circulating in this area. Should I just give up and run it till I have confidence in it or it blows up? Are there any viewers out there that have a 9.8 and have experience on how hot the tell-tale stream should be?
Thanks,
jbjennings