Weak starter

tylermckee

Cadet
I have a 72 fiberform with twin volvo i/o. 130/270. My port engine wont turn over, well it turns over but very slowly. i checked and i am getting 12 volts at the starter. it just clicks when you try to start it, you would think its just not getting enough voltage. What am i missing here? i even switched starters just to make sure its not the starter itself and it didnt change anything.

87 bayliner

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Weak starter

there is a difference between voltage and amperage. your battery may have 12 volts but it may not have Adequete amperage to turn the motor over(hence the clicking.) take your battery to your local autoparts store and have the battery tested.(usually free) also make sure your cable connections are clean and tight.

j

tylermckee

Cadet

I switched batteries with the one for the other side which i know is good and still have the same thing. I checked/cleaned even lightly sanded all connections between my battery/battery switch/and starter. everything looked good.

tylermckee

Cadet

Another thing is that on my voltage gauge on the dash it only reads 10 volts, although i have 12 at the starter, i figured it should still crank.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

Ignore the dash voltmeter, they're notoriously inaccurate. Since you've swapped both starters and batteries, there's still the possibility of a poor connection somewhere. You say you have 12 v at the starter, is that on the starter itself while you're cranking? If so, my next guess is that 1 engine is tight for some reason. Can you turn both engines over at the crank pulley easily with the plugs out?

tylermckee

Cadet

Ignore the dash voltmeter, they're notoriously inaccurate. Since you've swapped both starters and batteries, there's still the possibility of a poor connection somewhere. You say you have 12 v at the starter, is that on the starter itself while you're cranking? If so, my next guess is that 1 engine is tight for some reason. Can you turn both engines over at the crank pulley easily with the plugs out?

I thought that might be the case but i checked and with the plugs in i can turn it over easily enough. I did find i had a bad relay and i swapped it for the one on the other engine and now ive got full voltage everywhere, but the starter just clicks and turns over very slowly. I have 11.6 volts on all three batteries and it drops to 10.8 when cranking.

Bondo

Staff member

Remove,+ Clean the Ground wires to the Starter,+ Engine Block......

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have 11.6 volts on all three batteries and it drops to 10.8 when cranking.

Charge your batteries fully, and it'll probably crank fine. Sounds to me like you have 3 old, dead, batteries.
Have you ever had them load tested?????? If not, get it done.