Suzuki tachometer for dt-85. drops to zero when reaching 3000rpm

muskie hunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1987 Suzuki Dt-85. I installed a Suzuki tach. The tach works fine untill it reaches 3000 rpm. When it hits 3000 it drops to zero like you just shut the key off. If you slow the motor back down, the tach starts working again. I cannot quite understand this porblem. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:

hopalong

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Suzuki tachometer for dt-85. drops to zero when reaching 3000rpm

Is it a Suzuki tach made for that motor, 2 stroke ?

muskie hunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello!!
Yes it is a new Suzuki tach made for a 2 stroke. Start the motor and the tach shows 750 at idle, start giving it throttle and it acts perfectly normal, once the tach hits 3000 rpm its like someone just unplugs the yellow wire, Throttle down and when the motor gets below 3000rpm the tach bounces up and starts working again. On the wiring I do have the oil level gauge and the tach lighting both hooked to the grey wire, which is a switched hot wire. I have all the ground wires hooked together on the blk wire. The yellow wire goes straight to the tach with no other wires. The connections are plugged in securely and has no shorts in the wires. This is kind of bizzare. The white wire is also a 12v feed maybe I should be using it instead of running everything to the grey wire. I dont know Im perplexed.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

InstrumentPanelWiring.jpg