2002 200 yamaha HDPI (XTRA) questions

Fonchy

Cadet
Im a newbie at boats, This is my second boat, my first boat had a 55 evenrude, but this was 20 years back, my new boat is a Kencraft Chalenger center console. I just want anyone to give me some advise as maintenance, before I bought the boat I was there when they did the compression check and eveything was normal,so it passed. Mainly I want to know What type oil to use?? I have put a gallon of Super Tech TC-W3 certified but I have not run the boat yet with it, I just topped of the reservoir.Should I change the spark plugs or not?? and one last thing, Is the prop that I have any good, the prop is a 17 pitch stainless steel, mercury marine Vengance.

yamamarinetech40

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2002 200 yamaha HDPI (XTRA) questions

You should pour that oil where it belongs....it does NOT belong in a Yamaha, Merc., or Suzuki engine....lawnmower, maybe......an HDPI needs only the BEST not CHEAPEST oil....tend to build up carbon even then(you have an o2 sensor on this motor), but with cheap stuff, it'll be running like crap in no time....anti-ashing oil is expensive, it is what it is....

Fonchy

Cadet

Any one else on the other questions

Fonchy

Cadet

Come on people Help te newbie out. I took the boat out tuesday and ran like a champ. I put the muffs on the engine and cranked it up when I go home to rinse it.

TonyNoriega

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also have a 200 hpdi and when I got it used the first thing I did was to pull off the cowling and go through and check every bolt, nut, electrical connection, etc. to both familiarize myself with the layout and to assure that nothing was loose or rusted/corroded. I also downloaded a service manual, which I open when time permits to learn more about the motor.

It seems the debate about TCW-3 oils will never end - knowledgeable people make differing opinions, all of which seem valid. I myself tend to heed the advice of mechanics on the front lines because they see first hand the results of using the various oils.

Congratulations on your new boat!

Fonchy

Cadet

I took the cover off and everything looks brand spanking new, I checked all the hoses and wires too. There is a little grease on the bottom but is just regular all grease and nothing that has me worried. I dont see any leaks or old stuff. Now the only thing I need to do is to buy me something to pull the boat with, hehehe.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

read the owners manual and look at the maintenance section