were is the idle screw 1978 mecury 115

jimg984

Chief Petty Officer
idles mush too fast prob. about 1500-----------2000rpm I dont think the problem is with the mixture,

the throttle rod works thur the carbs.,,,the top trottle bar lever contacts the lever from the distrubtor which is hitting the metal framing and not letting the throttle plates close. the lever from distrubtor has plastic sleeve on it,, no adjustment found

the stops on each carb like a little the stops
i'm lost on idling this thing down

Laddies

Banned
Re: were is the idle screw 1978 mecury 115

Look on the lever that the throttle cable attachs to near the bottom there is a phillips screw with a locking nut on it, that adjusts the lever which retards the spark slowing the idle

jimg984

Chief Petty Officer

the throttle lever works from another lever from the distrubtor above the top carb. which works from the control cable...

what i'm i missing here?

Laddies

Banned

The throttle cable comes from the control box thru the front cowl on the port side of the engine the outer housing attaches to the cowl and the cable end attaches to a arm(lever) the is about 15' long on the lower part of the lever(arm) you will find the screw that adjusts the idle speed.

jimg984

Chief Petty Officer

no adjusting screw to be found at the bottom of the lever still puzzled

this is a 1978 inline 6 1150 115 hp with cd ignition is the adjustment on the distrubtor? HELP

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you need to get a manual. It sounds like your idle timing is out of spec. On that distributor motor, there is a plate that slides to set the primary carb pickup at the required 4-6 BTDC. Then there is a screw that sets the max spark advance at 21 BTDC. There is also an idle stop screw that sets minimum carb opening, and the throttle cable sets the "preload", on the throttle.

jimg984

Chief Petty Officer

THIS IS THE BEST REPLY THAT I HAVE GOTTEN I DO HAVE SELOC MANUAL, BUT ITS NOT JUST FOR MY ENGINE SI A LITTLE HARD FOR ME. THIS AN ENGINE I PICKED UP WANT TO GET EVERYTHING WORKING BEFORE MOVING ONTO MY BOAT

JUST TOOK SOME PICS OF DISTRUBTOR WOULD LIKE TO SEND TO YOU I DONT SEE AN EMAIL ADDRESS FOR YOU
MINE IS jwgregor@aol.com

Laddies

Banned

Jim, have you checked your PMs, I tried to send you the complete syncronizing of the engine as well as photos of the differant adjusts

jimg984

Chief Petty Officer

thanks Laddies think on the right track now would still to send you some pics of my motor just to make sure same deal need your email address

mine is jwgregor@aol.com

Plainsman, ths for info on the place to post pics its makes no sense to me what thay talking about i must be one of the cavemen lol. have you got better info on how to do it?