For Joe Reese or anyone..Spark Plugs '69 115ESL69E

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class
Read a post of yours from a few years ago.. You mentioned that the L20V plug was replaced by the L77JC4 and the UL77JC4.... My engine manual calls for L19V which I believe was replaced by L20V, from my research. I believe the UL (resistor) is now a QL.. AM I correct? Bottom line..... can I run QL77JC4s in my outboard? if so, should they be gapped .30 or .40? I read on another forum that at .40 it runs smoother at lower idle. Man, thank God for the internet!!

Please send answer to my email address as well.

Thank you!

Tom Smith
tjsmith67@hotmail.com

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: For Joe Reese or anyone..Spark Plugs '69 115ESL69E

Your engine has a distributor cap and a rotor beneath the flywheel and therefore has additional gaps to jump at that area. For this reason, the spark plug gap must be .030.

Yes, the QL77JC4 Champion plug is a suppressor plug and you can use it in your engine. just keep the gap to .030 .

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Techno stuff:

"R" is a resistor plug.
"U" is an auxillary gap plug. Spark has to jump a gap within the porcelin before getting to the business end.
"Q" is an inductive suppressor plug. Not to get into a long discussion of induction, but it does not have DC resistance like a "R" plug does.

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks to both you! I sure appreciate the help! I couldn't afford to have a boat if it weren't for the internet!! :eek:))

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know it's been awhile, but sometimes that boat has to sit waiting for me to do any work.. I tried the QL77jC4 plugs and it won't start. The boat had ND SF-50 plugs which are surface gap plugs and it will start with those... if the engine is warm (started with the ND's) and I put the QL77's in, it'll start.

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Tom Smith

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Isnt the L76V reccomended for that year 115? (which is surface gap) Although the JC4s should be fine. I believe I remember FR saying a while ago those motors had a bad distributor cap and with a bit of age won't any longer fire the surface gap plugs. Make sure you have good clearance between the electrode and the piston, about .060. I have also heard that the older motors have metallic core non suppression wires (just plain old copper, or something similar) so the resistor plugs are better. FR or Joe will be better able to guide you.

tschamp20

Petty Officer 1st Class

i dont know if this will apply to your motor but before i replaced my stator my motor wouldnt run the surface gap plugs. now there all i use. i feel theres less chance for the plug to get damaged by something rattling around in there ie:piston ring chunks :)

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mine is doing the opposite, it's starts with the surface gap plugs, but not with the QL77Jc4 w/ .030 gap. The recommended plugs for this engine " NOW" are the L76V and the QL77JC4. In the serv manual it's AC V4OFF or Champion L19V.

Just trying to figure out why it won't start with the QL77JC4s.