Boat questions:

XJJoe01

Cadet
Hello all!!

I just wanted to start out with I have never owned a boat, but have the itch to join the club. I live near Washington, D.C. which has lots of waterways and fishing spots. This is what I am thinking and wanted to hear opinions. I am leaning towards the 16-18 foot range aluminum fishing boats such as lowes and alumacraft with a 25 to 50 hp outboard and a trolling motor. I would like to have a live well also. I plan to mostly fish of the boat, but the wife and kid (16 months) would want to come along also to joy ride. I plan on mostly staying in the Potomac River, but if the conditions are right, maybe going in the Chesapeake bay. Am I thinking right or am I on crack? Also, I might venture out to Lake Anna or maybe a few of the other rivers. Another question: which is better a standard shaped boat or a deep v for my application?

TIA,

Joe

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Boat questions:

If you'll be venturing out into the Chesapeake bay, then you need to consider the saltwater corrosion issue. A fiberglas boat might be a better choice, overall, in that case.

Some folks do use aluminum boats in saltwater, certainly, but there are more issues with them than fiberglas boats.

XJJoe01

Cadet

The saltwater is a good point. Would it be ok if I washed off the boat after taking it in the bay?

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

I'm afraid the 16 footer will be a scary ride for your wife and kid when the water is rough. Get a demo ride in a 16 to check this out for yourself. But I would focus on 18 and up. Which will require a bigger motor than a 50, which will increase the cost of the boat a bunch.

An alternative plan would be to buy the small 50hp rig for quiet lakes and rivers. Then for those days out on the bay rent a bigger boat.

Kelly Cook

XJJoe01

Cadet

Kelly,

The renting idea is a good one. I thought a 16-18 foot boat would be ok in the bay when it is calm. When I driver over the bay bridge, sometimes it seems like it is glass. I suppose the worry is when the weather changes and you can get back to shore quick enough. Is this correct?

Thanks again,

Joe

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Correct. Very correct. And even on calm days there can be wakes from other boats. So very small boats are a poor choice for the most popular lakes that have lots of traffic.

BUT, even the lakes with bad reputations will be calm in the early morning. As more boats get out on the lake later in the day. So the lake will be rougher in the afternoon. Assuming you don't mind being limited to running just in the mornings. Lots of factors to consider. Renting is a good way to start.

Kelly

XJJoe01

Cadet

Thanks for all of the advice. I think we will be renting a few different types of boats and getting a feel for how they work and how we will be using them.

Thanks again,

Joe

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Why not just get a bigger bass boat for fishin and they are comfortable for the family to kick back and relax while your skimming the top of the water, they are also built better than an aluminum boat to handle rougher waters. This way you serve both your needs.>>Pat

XJJoe01

Cadet

Why not just get a bigger bass boat for fishin and they are comfortable for the family to kick back and relax while your skimming the top of the water, they are also built better than an aluminum boat to handle rougher waters. This way you serve both your needs.>>Pat

What size of a boat of a boat do you recommend? Also, do you think a metal boat will work or would a fiberglass hull suit my needs better?

TIA,

Joe

vandy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

That all depends on how much $$ you are looking to spend. Are you looking to buy new, or used? If new do you want to spend a lot or a little, same applies for used. There are many good choices out there for you, I personally have ridden in/driven many Boston Whalers in the Chesapeake, and know that they handle the conditions well.

XJJoe01

Cadet

That all depends on how much $$ you are looking to spend. Are you looking to buy new, or used? If new do you want to spend a lot or a little, same applies for used. There are many good choices out there for you, I personally have ridden in/driven many Boston Whalers in the Chesapeake, and know that they handle the conditions well.

As our family will be new to boating, I think we want to buy a used boat and I think we will want to stay under $5,000. I will start looking at the Boston Whaler line of boats.

TIA,
Joe

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Personally I would get a fiber glass boat, Some of the Paint jobs are awsome, Keep in mind, The bigger the boat the better she handles in the conditions. The families safety comes first:) I would think for Around $5,000 you should have no prob. finding a good safe boat. Have you tried looking into gov auctions ? There are tons searches for marine under gov. auctions.

vandy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree, with waven bye in that the boat should probably be fiberglass. Also the idea of a slightly bigger boat 18-22ft is not a bad idea either. And if you a planning on towing it, that Dodge 2500 in your signature bar should do fine for any of these boats. As for the Boston Whaler, it is just one potential brand, there are many others that should suit your needs just fine. If you haven't yet, check out eBay motors, whether you buy a boat from there or not doesn't really matter, but you will be able to find just about every kind of boat on there. If I were you i would look for; a 18-22ft boat with an outboard motor. as far as size of motor, thats up to you, and depends on the size of the boat. If you going to be using the boat for mainly fishing, you may want to check into a center console, as it provides more deck space, but it is limited when it comes to family comfort. If you are more concerned with family comfort a bowrider may be a good option. Also, you may want to consider either a tri hull or deep vee, as these boats are generally better in rough conditions and more stable. there are many options out there for you, I have just scraped the surface, but ask a lot of questions and do a lot of research before making a choice. Also, will you be trailering this boat? or will you have it docked some place? this could be important as it sounds like you may be fishing on this boat alone sometimes, it may be important to find a boat small enough to solo.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

I agree with every thing that Vandy21 says, My bayliner is 20' and I load it and off load it by myself even when the wife is with me. I do it all. after I back the trailer into the water and load it I just ease up to the trailer(Stern raised and engine shut down) and just put my belly on the bow(safely) and hook it up,crank her up, put on safety chain with out ever getting out of the boat,Same in reverse. I am used to doing it solo,I boat solo most of the time its just quicker to do it myself:D Cracks me up how people make this BIG project out of it,It's funny, I pull up or unload truck parked or on my way quicker and they don't even have the boat in the water yet.Cracks me up ! You'll have no prob. Good Luck in your search and keep us posted and Wecome to IBOATS

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Kelly,

The renting idea is a good one. I thought a 16-18 foot boat would be ok in the bay when it is calm. When I driver over the bay bridge, sometimes it seems like it is glass. I suppose the worry is when the weather changes and you can get back to shore quick enough. Is this correct?

Thanks again,

Joe

What looks like glass from 100' above the water in reality is a lot rougher than you think. Add in the boat traffic on your typically weekend from Annapolis and an 16' boat gets rather small in a hurry up by the bridge.

Also remember that the Bay is tidal, its body is oriented North / South, and the prevailing winds in the summer are from the South. An out going tide kicks up the water quite a bit and it doesn't take much at all to generate a very short 2-3' chop. I'm not trying to scare you, just giving you a heads up on the conditions

I started out with a 19' boat and had lots of fun. I just had to stay in protected waters a lot more than I had wished or anticpated.

XJJoe01

Cadet

Thanks to all for taking the time to answer my questions. I will re-think our boat choices and rent the different styles of boats to get a feel for them.

v/r

Joe

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Good Luck !! I hope you find what you and your wife are comfortable with:) Let us know what you find>>Pat