towing with a gmc canyon

jmolin3

Cadet
hi guys i just wanted to see what you think. my step dad just bought a 19' bayliner 195br it weighs in at about 3,300 lbs. the truck he bought to tow it is a tiny gmc canyon crew cab 4x4 that is rated to tow 4,000 lbs. oh, its only a 5 cyl. I told him he should get a bigger truck but he don't listen. what do you guys think?

tommays

Admiral
Re: towing with a gmc canyon

PA081799.JPG.xs.jpg

Lets just say the 19' Maxum which is a similar boat gives a full size 03 Silverado with a 4.3 a good workout :eek: and it is rated at 5000#

Tommays

rndn

Commander

Is 3300# counting gas, batteries, toys, etc?? Why do people try to really cheap out on their tow vehicle? People really need to understand they also need a vehicle equipped to stop what they are towing as well as get it going.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Add the weight of the trailer as well. Full load of fuel is around 200 pounds. I suspect the load will be well over the 4000# limit. Not my idea of an ideal towing setup. But if towing distances are just a few miles on flat roads, the truck will work. Lastly, does the trailer have brakes? If not, it will be illegal in most states.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Your dad needs to be slapped on the back of the head.

Hopefully it won't be by the boat, when he makes his first evasive maneuver on the highway.