59 evinrude lark 35 hp

59lido

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 59 lark and the motor will slowly turn at times and will not turn at all at times using key switch.New battery and voltage is getting to starter. Hooked jumper cables to starter and to my truck motor spun fine and actually cranked and ran but it still want turn by using key switch. Any ideas?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: 59 evinrude lark 35 hp

Are you sure your boat battery is good? have you load tested it? and what happens if you jump the solenoid?

59lido

Seaman Apprentice

I have not load tested the battery but it is brand new and I hooked it to charger and charged overnight after running it down. I have not tried jumping the solenoid but I did try a new one and had the smae problem.

The-Machinist

Petty Officer 1st Class

It sounds to me like your starter may be on its way out. Most part stores will be happy to measure the current draw on thier fancy little machines. If it is pulling to many amps, time to start looking for a rebuilder. Or learn to love rope starting:D.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You need to eliminate the guesswork and do a voltage drop test on the system. You have a high resistance somewhere (assuming that new battery truly is OK)

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

If it spins ok when he jumps it from the truck then it does not sound like it's the starter. It's in the wiring somewhere. Check all wires and watch for a high resistance connection or wire...

flyboy712

Cadet

The first place I would check is the wiring from the battery make sure all your connections are clean and tight.

darrklim2

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know how big of a battery you have, but my marine battery takes at least two days to charge from dead to fully charged. You say you only charged yours over night... Doesn't sound fully charged to me. :confused:

Sometimes when the brushes are going out, the extra amperage/voltage of a jump start can be enough to make it spin faster/better. I have seen this in the past with my vehicle.

SuperMe

Cadet

Samo ott sounds right. It's not likely the starter, but the wires or Connections. All of the connections should be taken apart buffed clean with sand paper, put back together and covered in grease or even better petroleum jelly which is not conductive but seals out corrosion.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I also have and work on electric golf carts. The wires are critical when 100's of amps are going thru them to drive the motor. It's amazing how a 4 gauge wire that looks 100% good does not actually work sometimes. So check the wires carefully. The slightest bit of crud gets in there and add's resistance to the setup and poof... the wire ends or terminals will vaporize! And I mean vaporize (as in disappear!). That's what ~300 amps going thru a wire will do. It almost happened again last night and I barely made it home in my buggy. The power was surging and it turns out it was resistance in a wire/terminal connection. I'm going out now to put new wires on that I bought.

59lido

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. The wires were in trerrible shape and I in process of reworking. The majority of all the wires had no insulation on them under the dash of the boat. The battery tested fine and I could actually start the motor with cables directly from the battery. I hope this works though I am alittle concerned about the solenoid. Again thanks.

59lido

Seaman Apprentice

Ok guys, I've rewired everything from key switch to junction box and battery. The motor will not turn over with key switch. Did some voltage testing and I'm getting 12.7v from battery at solenoid and from key switch to solenoid. I'm only getting 10.9v at the solenoid from I take it as the neutral switch and from solenoid to starter. Is this to much voltage drop and if so any ideas on what might be causing the problem. The motor will start if I bypass the solenoid. I've ordered a new solenoid. I'm not sure wether or not that is whats causing my voltage drop or not but its getting a new one anyway.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If you are getting a voltage drop across the solenoid, it is toast. Make sure the new one you are getting is a OMC outboard one. A Ford solenoid looks the same but will burn up the mercury safety switch in an instant.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Really FR? how can a different solenoid burn up the micro switch? Too high a current demand I guess?