Wisconsin river sand, siezed engine

arabiflora

Recruit
Mercruiser 140 (sn 4514670) and Model I sterndrive (sn 4797930) on 1978 17 ft Sylvan trihull runabout. Was out on the WI River several weeks ago and strayed from the nav channel, ran onto a sand bar. Stupidly, I threw it into reverse and tried to power it off the sand. After several tries I gave up, waded out and pulled it via rope to deeper water. It started right up, I ran 10 minutes at 4k rpm to island campsite. Offloaded gear and set up tent (45 min). Went back into river to pick up friends at dock ~ 3 mi downstream. Ran 15-20 min at steady 4k and no problem except momentary hiccup near the end (1/2 sec cut-out) that did not recur in last 3 minutes of the drive.

When I powered down to survey the situation at dock, it idled down with an ominous sound-- like belt squeal but with distinctive metallic screeching undertones. Motor did not maintain idle on throttle down and stalled, never to start again. The engine cranked with great resistance, occasionally fires but cannot sustain operation.

I struggled for the better part of the next week to decide what might have gone wrong and what to do in order to get back out on the water. I ultimately concluded that the engine was shot (admittedly based on no further diagnostic tests) and would need to be replaced. As fate would have it, a 1978 Mercruiser 140 motor, completely rebuilt and complete with starter, carb, etc. came up for auction on EBay (completed auction item #270141785390) and I bought it for about $1500.

I have since removed the old motor, taken delivery of the rebuilt, and may be ready to install it. If you have endured my sorry tale of woe and folly so far, I hope that you MC experts out there could help me out with suggestions on how (or whether) to proceed. I can see three options:

1. Cut my losses-- resell the rebuilt, the block and accessories on the seized motor, outdrive (completely rebuilt by MC shop ~40 hrs ago), and miscellaneous boat parts, use proceeds to buy one of the many used boats on market locally;

2. Take my chances-- drop the motor in and see how it goes;

3. Increase my odds for success-- plunk some more money into the endeavor and use the opportunity of engine-out to refurbish transom, Gimbel ring, bell housing, etc.

If I went with option 2 (or 3), are there flushing operations that I could perform to ensure that the outdrive isn't itself damaged or contribute debris that might foul the new motor?

If I went with option 3, what maintenance tasks should I perform? I'll note that prior to the WI River incident the boat was operating almost flawlessly. It has small issues with trim pump (I suspect it merely needs a fluid top-off and perhaps a system bleed) and the TPS wiring is shot but bottom line is that drive goes up, the drive goes down; the only other symptom to note is a very minor leakage of water into bilge that cannot be accounted for by water over the hull-- 1" puddle after several hrs out on water.

That's my story. Sorry this is so long and thanks for bearing with me and for any suggestions that you old hands may be able to provide.

Scott

Coors

Captain
Re: Wisconsin river sand, siezed engine

Darn, you may have just filled the o/g and impeller, and engine with sand.
Some may still be in the drive and hoses.

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you decide to put the rebuilt motor in,, Make sure to back flush all hoses from the thermostat down..and change impeller in outdrive,, raw water pump should be fine.. but i would flush it too..

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

First off you have no idea weather the original engine is junk or not. It could be you trashed the out drive and the engine is fine. Seems to me at this point you don't know much fore sure. At this point I'd put the new engine in and see what happens. If it runs great you're home free, if you have the same issues your back to square one....................in which case I'd pull the out drive and try and run the engine itself to isolate the problem.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

doing a motor the drive should be off already, what is the condition of the oil in the drive,if any?maybe the drive is what siezed. rebuilt 40 hrs ago dosent mean squat if the oil leaked out.

arabiflora

Recruit

It's official, I'm an idiot. Shaft on outdrive doesn't move a mm. Haven' gone further to see how bad the guts are or anything.

Thanks for the feedback and info, I'll be sure to bounce my brilliant ideas off the more experienced wisdom here in the future.

Anybody need a newly rebuilt 140? (sigh...)

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Somebody will need that motor if you dont..