20 amp starter fuse

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
What would cause the 20 amp starter fuse to blow every now and then, a leaky cowl perhaps? I was working on the coils and changing the boots on the plugs, could this have done it. Also, my motor seems to like to start with the choke at the motor turned to "off", even when cold, the previous owner said he ran it in the off position, any ideas ?? Ty guys

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 20 amp starter fuse

if it will start with out choke sounds like a well tune motor. any number of things could cause the fuse to blow, corroded, dirty, loose connections, and skint wire grounding out. the fuse controls the remote box electrics also.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

He has tin foil packed in the fuse holder as well, im assuming as a temporary fix if he blew the fuse. I am unfamiliar with a skint wire TD, can you explain.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Sorry musta been a blonde moment regarding the "skint", lol, thought you were referring to a particular wire for some reason, not a wire grounding itself, might have to stick to 1 beer after dinner, ;) When you mentioned the fuse controlling the remote electrics, it made me realize ive pulled my trim motor to work on, and have the bare wires exposed, i bet they grounded or arced, blowing the fuse, especially since it has been wet and rainy last couple days.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The 20 amp fuse at the starter solenoid is to protect the positive feed running to the control. It could be easily overloaded if power for accessories has been taken from the ignition switch accessory line. That line is enough to run gauges, lights, plus the choke and starter solenoids and that is about the limit.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

would adding a fish finder overload the 20 amp fuse? I put one on and am drawing power for it from the light switch. Sounds like it's on the same circuit from what you all have said. I have anotehr post going about the fuse blowing and its wire getting hot.

Going to go down to the water now to mess with it. Call me sparky!