Clunking In and out of gear while driving. Freedom 160 :(

tysonvoorhorst

Recruit
We own the freedom 160 with an OMC Cobra leg. near the end of last season it developed a problem, it seemed to be jumping out of gear and then going back in while driving. We have replaced the U-joints and shafts in the outdrive. The shift cable, shift lever roller assembly.
We read some of the forums on this and found that it could be the prop or the Fly wheel. we checked both and they seem to be fine. We have also adjusted the cables in every possible direction a cable can be adjusted in. The gears in the Leg look ok. The clutch dog gear is a little rounded but doesnt seem like enough to cause a problem.
The propeller has about 1/8th of a turn of free wheel before it stops moving when it is in gear.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Sorry forgot to put a notification on the first post.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Clunking In and out of gear while driving. Freedom 160 :(

Mercruiser, Volvo and OMC I/O or Inboard Engine Problems

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The shift dogs on the forward gear and the shift dog are rounded. Only cure is to replace them.

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What don said,, no other way around it..

tysonvoorhorst

Recruit

allright thanks for the input I guess we'll give it a try and see what happens. any Ideas on cost??

tic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We may be selling our 88 160 freedom..(250 hrs. total time).. boat is in great shape except for cracked block.. Out drive is excellent.. it'd be an excellent parts boat... thinking 2k for the boat AND trailer... If interested, PM me.

Attachments

• crashed boat not.JPG
    crashed boat not.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 0