Outboard is washing out the water and going nowhere?

geckogeek

Seaman Apprentice
The 50hp merc mounted on my 14' runabout "washes" all the water away from the prop anywhere above 10mph and revs out. I can't even get the boat on a plane before I have to let off........I don't understand. I tried every stop position(trim) and nothing helps. Why would this do that and how do I fix it?

Thanks

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Outboard is washing out the water and going nowhere?

Is the boat a long shaft and the motor a short shaft? measure from the top of the transom, at the area that the motor sits (some have drop downs for the motor) and measure to the lowest point of the hull. If it is about 15 inches, short shaft. About 20 is a long shaft. Now, measure from the top of the transom clamp. (Where it makes contact with the top edge of the transom.) and measure to the cavitation plate. If 15, short shaft, and 20 long shaft.
If they match, then I don't know.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

take a pic of your motor on your boat setup so we can have a better understanding ........

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

sounds like BB1 is right on this one.

geckogeek

Seaman Apprentice

What is the cavitation plate? Boat is long shaft for sure. Thanks

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Here is a simple diagram.

shaft_length_small.gif

geckogeek

Seaman Apprentice

Ok great diagram. Transom height is 21" Shaft length is 17.5".....now what....I just ordered $300 worth of parts from Oldmercs.com. I might beable to cut and reinforce the top of the transom to lower about 2"

studlymandingo

Commander

Is it possible you have a spun hub on your prop?​

geckogeek

Seaman Apprentice

Never thought of that.....is it on a key or something? I should maybe lower it the 2" anyways. I can do it nicely if I take the aluminum trim off and refit it.

Thanks

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Or you could look for a jackplate to fit your transom, that puts the motor out away from the transom and higher or lower as you desire/need. That way you wouldn't have to butcher the transom just to accomodate the Merc you have now. Check the boat shacks around where you live and Schmebay.

geckogeek

Seaman Apprentice

Hey that is awesome....I didn't know such a product existed Thanks Again

studlymandingo

Commander

The prop is mounted on a shaft that is in a rubber bushing, the bushing is attached to the inside of the prop. It is designed to spin if the prop strikes something. However, it is rubber and rubber dry-rots, sometimes they just spin out. When this happens, the motor will rev to the sky but the boat will barely move.​

geckogeek

Seaman Apprentice

I will check the hub next week when my bottom end seal kit and impeller kit shows up......Thanks for the help....I'll let you know