Idle problem 50 hp johnson

watts

Recruit
50 hp johnson on a pontoon. About a 1985 model. Well taken care of, and used about 20 times a year but does set up during the winter. Last year it had some power issues so this year we took it to a very reputable repair center (has worked on this unit before) He serviced the unit and I believe rebuilt one carb and replace the other. It runs great at WOT but will die at idle. We took it back and after a few days were told that most likely the lower rings were bad. Upper rings were ok because it had good compression. The unit would idle before the carb work, just ran crappy. Could it be a sync problem, how likely is a ring problem? Suggestions??

chbailey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Idle problem 50 hp johnson

Sounds more like your low speed settings need to be adjusted than your rings being bad, especially since you had the carbs rebuilt/replaced.

Do you have the compression test numbers for both cylinders? That'll most likely tell you whether or not you have a problem with rings and such.

chbailey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also, the compression numbers should be within 10% of each other.

watts

Recruit

Thanks, I was told the compression was fine, but I will check the numbers. I'll see about the low speed settings, that will be great but a bit aggrivating if thats all it is. There is also a 3" hose that looks as if it could be sucking some air. I haven't messed with out board engines, just cars. Looks like I gonna have to get close and personal with them or get a LOT more money to keep looking for a good mechanic.

watts

Recruit

Compression numbers are 140 and 145. This motor runs better and stronger than it has in years. Just wont idle. Checking the adjustments tonight

DennisM1358

Cadet

How old is the fuel in the tank? Bad fuel can foul a rebuilt or new carb quick.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

those #s are great for that motor. if they did not use a rebuild kits, they wasted your money, http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=244013 these carbs are almost indentical to yours. agree carbs can foul again after cleaning. hose replacement could be in order, with new alcohol resistant lines, due to ethanol in fuel.

gallows

Cadet

I had a similar problem and it eventually turned out to be electrical. Check all leads on both sides of the coils, especially the connections. If there is corrosion on the terminals, this will cause a bad idle. Always check the simple things first.