Help with motor steering problem!!!!

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander
Ok i got this motor and the previous owner has a steering cable that is bent to the right of the motor from looking at it(steering 2 pic). I have existing cabeling on my boat that i want to use(steering 4 pic). For some reason i cant get this piece out of the motor(steerint 6 and steering 4 pics). I dont know if it is stuck inside there but it is the piece that the linkage of the motor hooks up too. The cable that im trying to use is the exact same thing just the way it hooks to the dash is completely different. So i want to pull the piece out of the motor mount or clamp whatever its called (steering 2 pic)and insert my steering piece through there and hook the linkage up to that. Its the same thing i measured it with a micrometer and it will work i just cant seem to get the old one out. Is there a screw somewhere that acts as a tensioner to tighten up the rod that goes through there?? Maybee if i loosen up that i can do it. Ive tried pumping greese in there through the greese fittings and banging it with a hammer but nothing. If i hook up the linkage to whats there i cant move it left to right for nothing. Ive added pics to what im talking about. Any help would be greatly apreciated. My cable has the same big nut that will hook up to the motor and allow the rod to come out of the other side and the linkage can hook to that. It will be easy if i can get the old one out of there.

Attachments

• Steering1.jpg
    Steering1.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Steering 2.jpg
    Steering 2.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Steering 3.jpg
    Steering 3.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Steering 4.jpg
    Steering 4.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Steering 5.jpg
    Steering 5.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 0

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Help with motor steering problem!!!!

here is pic 6 thanks guys!!!!! The pics are a little rough they are from my cell phone but hopefully someone gets the idea. Please help me guys!!!

Attachments

• Steering 6.jpg
    Steering 6.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 0

iwombat

Captain

I think your steering rod is rusted in place. You'll probably need some penetrating oil, heat, and a dead blow hammer to remove it.

lexkyboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I replaced the cable on my boat, they recommended I cut the old cable if it would help in the removal. Looks like in your case, cutting the starboard side just past motor's steering tube would allow it to come right out, that way it doesn't bind.

Also, hooking up your motor to a hoist then loosening the transom mount screws may help, if you don't cut and will help getting the new cable in place. They suggested that I loosen at least the port side and twist the motor so the steering cable is in more of a straight line and that helps get the cable out. However, on my boat, I ended up just removing the motor completely to remove the cable, because I figured once I removed the nuts, I had transom rot waiting to happen. So, I ended up pulling all 4 transom bolts and re-siliconing the whole thing, installing the new steering cable, then buttoning it all back down. Once the motor was free, that old cable came out real easy though since it was no longer binding.

WaterWitch2

Chief Petty Officer

I think your steering rod is rusted in place. You'll probably need some penetrating oil, heat, and a dead blow hammer to remove it.

My steering cable was broken off in my tilt tube and very frozen. Soaking it with oil and using a hammer didn't work. So after removing the tilt tube from the motor, I wound up using a torch to heat it and a 12 ton hydraulic press to press it out. I left the motor on the boat and used a jack and ratcheting tie-downs to keep it from falling.

iwombat

Captain

Yikes!

Well, that's certainly a worst-case scenario right there. Here's hoping hydraulic presses aren't in your future.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

i ended up cutting the cable on the side that the cable comes from. After hitting it for a bit nothing. I cant get it to move at all. Ive pumped greese in the 2 fittings and a lot of it. Cant get to budge in eather direction. I also cannot get a good hit at it with a hammer because its inside the splashwell and i cant get a swing. I was thinking that i might have to take the motor back off again and get a better swing. I Just mounted this motor a week ago. Thanks for input guys!!!! I might try that taking it off.

iwombat

Captain

Grease won't really cut it. What you need in there is penetrating oil. My favorite concoction is ATF and diesel it really eats the rust. You can probably put that in an upside down grease gun and shoot it in through the zircs.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

When you re do it, you need to ditch the little doohickey in pic #5. Useless. Now, there should be an aluminum tube on your new steering that protects the grease if using the old style hookup. It should have threads on one end, and screw onto the cable using the thumbscrew on the cable. When installing, stick the rod through the hole in the motor, and screw the thumbscrew into the threads on the motor. Now, the end should stick out the other side, and there should be an L shaped piece of aluminum coming from the motor and it connects to the hole in the steering rod. Does this make any sense?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

cut the cable, sawzall with metal cutting blade, this relieve tension on the other end. i use a piece of oak wood against the rod, and then drive the rod till it's flush with the tilt tube, i then have a rod i use to drive it all the way thur.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Yes bassboy i understand all of that. The doohickey thing in pic 5 is how the prev. owner hooked up the motor steering. I am going to disconnect that thing and use the bolt that hooks up to the doohickey thing bolt right to the tube on the motor. Then the part with the hole on the end comes out the other side and the linkage hooks up to that. I can Hook it up using that doohickey think and run the cable to the place where the linkage hooks up but would rather not do it like that. But if there is still a problem when i pull the motor and i still cannot get it out thats what i will do. Thanks i got some penatrating oil cans going to try that out also. Thanks for the help guys!!!

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

I can Hook it up using that doohickey think and run the cable to the place where the linkage hooks up but would rather not do it like that.
Hope it doesn't come down to that. Getting it to work properly with that doohickey is a royal pain. Trust me.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

doohickey in # 5 is a transom bracket for engine that do not have tilt tubes. not needed when the cable is properly run into the tilt tube. the doohichey, that attaches to the cable end and attaches to the motor, is the connecting link, and has to be the correct one for the J/E, merc, etc. get the wrong one and then it's a real PITA.

google teleflex. com. steering then instruction. a complete education there.

kmurray802

Seaman

I had this same problem on a Mariner 75 a couple of years ago.Talked with several Merc. mechanics and found out,there's No easy way to get that old piece out.What I did was soak good by penetrating oil,heat up and then beat the %#*^%*!! out of it.The problem you have after you finally get it to move is the stainless tip of cable has to pass through sleeve.If you "bugger" it up it will not pass thru.
I.D. of tube and O.D. of cable are made to an exact fit.If cable tip is 1/1000th larger it's not going to go.Mine was so stuck that using wood to cushion blow would not move it. I finally got tired of fooling around and got out mini-sledge and beat it loose.I drove it up to the tube and then took angle grinder and cleaned up tip before driving it the rest of the way out.I used a piece of rebar to drive on thru.
I was amazed that thing could be that stuck.After that I never neglected to grease steering cable again.
Good luck.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Ok i got a buddy's engine hoist and im ready to pull off the motor to drive that cable out of the inside of the piviot. Im not sure where to lift the motor from?? It does not specify in my manual. Im going to post a neww topic on this also as im ready to do it now and i kinda want just a quick reply. Thanks guys and im going to post pics of the engin on the hoist and a pic of the victory beer and the old part when i get it out. Thanks again for everything.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

ok so you know i have the yamaha lifted off of the boat and spent about 6 hours strait with a sledge hammer and a piece of steel tubing and i still cant get it out!!!. Im not going to heat it as i dont think that I should do that not having experiance and all. I soked the parts that im working on with that PB blaster penetrating oil in the spray can. Nothing!!!. My thumbs hurt so bad right now from swinging that sledge!!! I think im going to hook up the steering by way of that doohickey and ataching that to where the linkage mounts. At least for the rest of this season. Then during the winter i would like to replace the piviot of the motor. Does that sound like a option?? From hooking up the steering like im talking about i almost get full range of steering. I know that ill be able to navigate safely for now i just want to hook up like its supposed to be. The previous motor was steered like this. And i dont want to get rid of the motor because it runs so cherry. Its a 1986 115 yamaha precision blend oil injected motor. You guys think im doing the right thing???

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I was able to remove the pivot from my motor very easily by sliding a piece of pipe in to take it's place while pushing out the pivot tube. I hope I explained that clearly. Once I got it out I took the pivot tube with the stuck steering cable remains in it to my friends automotive shop where he heated it up with a torch and used a hand held air hammer to nearly effortlessly push the stuck part out. If you've got the motor off it should be easy to get the pivot out. Hope this helps.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

rheagler, My email address is drewmitch44@comcast.net. Id like to talk more about what is going on if you dont mind please e-mail me tonight. Ill be checking every few min. I have been thinking about buying a new piviot and what not, but i have a few questions about removing it that id like to ask you. Please help me out. Im dyeing to get this boat out!!! E-mail me at drewmitch44@comcast.net. Even if you say hey its me in the e-mail i will ask you the questions that im talking about!!!