PDF service manuals

OldBoatGuy12

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone know of a pdf service manual for a merc 165 engine(looking for info on replacing the head gasket like torque specs, order, etc...)? I got in a tight spot and need the manual yesterday, so I am looking for online or pdf manuals that I can download. Cost doesn't matter. I would just get a seloc manual, but no one around here has one and I can't wait on shipping. Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: PDF service manuals

There isn't one for that engine. What's your problem maybe someone can help.

OldBoatGuy12

Seaman Apprentice

Pretty sure it's a blown head gasket. I can get it apart just fine, but need the torque specs and torquing order for all of the bolts for when it goes back together(regardless of if it is just the head gasket or not).

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Pretty sure it's a blown head gasket.

That's not a real good reason to pull the head, especially if you don't find what you expected to find. You might find it to be a real advantage to do a Compression test (wet and dry), and possibly a leakdown test before pulling the head.
Again, what is your problem. Low WOT rpm, miss, rough running, won't idle, what?????

OldBoatGuy12

Seaman Apprentice

Really rough running overall and water in the oil. Exhaust gasket was fine and head gasket wasn't blown through anywhere :( Number two cylinder(from belt side) has surface rust in it(no pitting or anything), which means water had to have gotten in. I am thinking the manifold is screwed as the head looks fine. All other cylinders are fine. Regardless, the head had to be taken off due to the oil issue. There is also lots of sludge everywhere. I'll post some pictures here in a minute.

OldBoatGuy12

Seaman Apprentice

Well it seems pictures will have to wait a bit longer until tonight. Thanks for any help!