Boat bogging in Warm Weather

jaderh

Cadet
Hi All, I have a 2000 glastron w/ 115 evinrude O/B. Here is my issue. I can launch the baot and it starts fine/runs great untill we stop and drift or go to the beach. in warm weather. When we go to leave it idles fine and runs great at low rpm untill I hit it and then it bogs. My wife pumps the primer ball to give it some gas and it go's for a bit ...then bogs/pump primer and it takes off and runs great without issue for the rest of the time. Stop again for a time and it is the same reutine. So I have pretty much figured it is a fuel deliver problem.

But here is my question. Does the onboard fuel tank have a "fuel pump" or a "lift pump"? Does the motor have a fuel pump on it so when it does this again I can disconnect the onboard tank and connect a pail of fuel to see what happens?

I am going to change out my black fual lines going the primer ball to clear line to see where the fuel runs out.

The boat has ran perfect since new (2000) and this has just started. I seems as if it is only when it is really hot out and we sit still for a time (15-60 mins).

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Boat bogging in Warm Weather

try pumping the bulb before starting. could just be evaporation. the only pump is the fuel pump on the motor.

jaderh

Cadet

The part that bothers me is it just started happening last season. If it had done it since new I would just live with it, But I think something is going bad that is why I was aking if it had an in tank lift pump to the motor other wise I would guess the fuel pump cannot keep up in hot weather.

iwombat

Captain

I would suspect

dirty/clogged anti-siphon valve
dirty fuel pump screen
clogged water separator
sticking float valve
failing fuel pump

in that general order.

jaderh

Cadet

I would suspect

dirty/clogged anti-siphon valve
dirty fuel pump screen
clogged water separator
sticking float valve
failing fuel pump

in that general order.

Awesome info but...where on my boat are all of these so I can start somewhere. is there a place on the net that give's schematics of a boat as I cannot find anything. I know with my bike and sled I use blowup's to help me find stuff

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

You should really get a manual for your motor, fairly cheap on ebay. If not not to the library and photocopy what you need. GL

iwombat

Captain

You never say what model or year 115 so I don't know if you've got a fuel pump or a VRO unit.

dirty/clogged anti-siphon valve - outlet fitting of your gas tank.
dirty fuel pump screen - on the very outside of your fuel pump/vro
clogged water separator - looks like a big oil filter somewhere in the middle of your gas line.
sticking float valve - inside your carburetor
failing fuel pump - inside the motor cowling follow the gas lines. Fuel pump/VRO first then on to the carbs.

jaderh

Cadet

It is a 2000 115 hp. All I know is when i pull of the cowling on the back it say OIS. I think it is a carbed motor. I have found the filter and plan to replace it. I will be climbing around the back of the boat this weekend and like i said I was thinking of putting on clear fuel line hose between the side of the boat and the primer bulb to see if it is draining back the fuel.

iwombat

Captain

OIS = Oil Injection System the newer version of the VRO. So that unit will have a fuel line and an oil line going to it, and a fuel/oil mix line going to the carbs.

jaderh

Cadet

Ok Cool iwombat I can tell you know these things. But i am still confused on something, do I have a fuel pump in the gas tank. Maybe a lift pump???? I have an access panel in the floor that I removed and I say an sensor of some sorts but no lines coming out of it. I thought this was the access panel to the fuel pump but maybe it is for the gas gauge sensor.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

schematics are available online at http://epc.brp.com/default.aspx?brands=ej&lang=E
Drill down to your year/model.
Weather doesn't affect the effectiveness of a properly working fuel pump.
You pressurize the line with the primer bulb, it should stay firm for a few hours. New fuel line & primer bulb is a good idea, they do wear out after awhile - spend the extra few bucks to get the BRP brand primer bulb. If you can hear it sucking air at the tank fitting, replace the quick-disconnect fitting on the tank, too.

Make sure the tank vent isn't blocked, although that usually results in the primer bulb getting sucked flat by the fuel pump.

If there's no leaks, and its not sucking air, then the fuel pump needs rebuilding.

If you're inclined to do your own maintenance (and there's no reason not too, if you've got time), a manual will pay for itself many times over.

iwombat

Captain

You do not have a fuel pump in the tank.

I'm sort of inclined to think that the weather may be a bit of a red herring. There's certainly a fuel delivery problem, so let's just tackle the usual suspects.

jaderh

Cadet

Well now I am pissed off. I go today to get a new fuel filter and I tell the parts guy it is carb'd not fuel injected and the fuel filter is for a 96. SO now I think i have a 96 motor on a 2000 boat that I bought brand new....i am going home to look at the bill of sale and double check seriel numbers and model number's.

On another note though. So if I follow my fuel lines all the way back to the fuel tank are there anything I need to watch for to remove the antisiphon valve do i need a certain wrench etc??????
I want to remove it and take out the guts of it to bypass it. at the same time I think I will just replace all of the fuel lines at the same time.

iwombat

Captain

All you really need to do is take it out and clean it. Pretty simple piece, but they have a tendency to get clogged up.

Model # is what you need to determine year.

jaderh

Cadet

All you really need to do is take it out and clean it. Pretty simple piece, but they have a tendency to get clogged up.

Model # is what you need to determine year.

I actually bought it already so I will just put it in. but iwombat have you ever removed the antisiphon valve and then punched out the guts to make it just a passthrough??

iwombat

Captain

Nope, I use a regular old nipple for that. Why toast a perfectly good valve?

iwombat

Captain

An antisiphon valve
85910F-t.gif

Is just a standard nipple with a valve inside. Why destroy the valve when you can just swap a regular nipple in its place?