Finaly got my boat to plane does this look right?

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade
it's a 86 searay 268 weekender almost 27 feet long. I noticed when the boat finally gets on plane i seem to have 2 high streams of water from either side of the boat.Also at times the stern feels like it's about ready to come around. Are previous boat was a 19 footer so i have nothing to compare it to.

Attachments

• 00001_1.jpg
    00001_1.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 00009_1.jpg
    00009_1.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 00011_1.jpg
    00011_1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 00013_1.jpg
    00013_1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 0

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Finaly got my boat to plane does this look right?

The reason your stern feels like it wants to come around is you might have to much lift using the hydrofoil with the trim tabs, Get rid of the hydrofoil and just use the trim tabs and see what the results are.>>Pat

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

you might be right there. I had the boat planning before i added the hydrofoil. They would added to help the boat plane at a lower speed. Before the boat would come onto plane around 26 mph now it planes at around 23 mph. So they really didn't help a whole lot..

QC

Supreme Mariner

The spray is the tabs. At that speed you should be able to start bringing them up . . . Vote #2 for losing the hydrofoil!!!

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

With the trim tabs you don't need the hydrofoil any way:)

Scout Sport Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah just take the trim tabs up all the way and that stupid hydro foil.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The tabs are way too far down in the water as demonstrated by the two patches of clear water running under the tab area. When properly positioned you shouldn?t be able to tell the difference between the tab and the hull areas. Once on plane you should be able to run with very little tab at all.

The other thing I noticed immediately is that the tabs on that boat are undersized by a pretty decent amount. A boat that size would ideally use a 30? x 9? or at a minimum 18? x 12? tabs if space was at a premium.

I?m wondering if the hydro foil was added in an attempt to compensate for lack of lift provided by the undersized tabs.

rndn

Commander

Trim tabs are too small for the boat and vote number ? for losing the hydrfoil.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

they are bennett tabs.Anyone know where to get just the tabs? Every where i looked they only offer the kit.The hydrofoil was added to get more lift from the stern. Which will be removed

MikDee

Banned

The proper way to use trim tabs, is put them all the way down to start planing off, then the trim tabs should me moved up to paralell (flat) with the bottom of the boat when on plane. They are a bit small, but should help some regardless, if used right.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The proper way to use trim tabs, is put them all the way down to start planing off, then the trim tabs should me moved up to paralell (flat) with the bottom of the boat when on plane.

The proper method of using the tabs will vary depending on the size of the tab and the planning characteristics of the boat. Generally speaking you don’t want or need to extend the tabs anymore than required to give them a slightly negative rack in relation to the surface of the water.

On my boat, putting the tabs down just a few degrees (10 degrees or so) past neutral is all that I need. In fact, running the tabs just a few more degrees lower while on plane has increased my fuel consumption by as much as 10-15%.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Okay i found a site that offers just the tabs for sell. Should i go with the 30X9 or the 30X12 for some extra lift?? Also i assume i will be able to use my current actuators?

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Have you checked out SX smart tabs? Scroll all the way to the top of the page to "MARINE STORE" then you will see "SEARCH" Type in "SX SMART TABS" And then put in size of your boat and then look closely for "INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS" for some helpful info>PAT

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

The only problem with changing the tabs now is you will have to move the hydraulic rams also. This is going to leave some decent holes to fill. Also be sure there is clearance on the inside of the transom for the hydraulic lines to be plumbed through the transom.

QC

Supreme Mariner

What RP said! The new tabs you noted are wider. Wavenbye, he's got adjustable tabs. Smart Tabs are a downgrade . . . ;)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Okay i found a site that offers just the tabs for sell. Should i go with the 30X9 or the 30X12 for some extra lift?? Also i assume i will be able to use my current actuators?

The 30" x 9" will give you plenty of lift. You'll be able to reuse the existing actuators but your have to move them over to the center of the new tabs.

Iwas going to say give Bennett Marine a call and ask for Tom (Tabman)but I just saw your post to him over on THT

MikDee

Banned

The proper method of using the tabs will vary depending on the size of the tab and the planning characteristics of the boat. Generally speaking you don?t want or need to extend the tabs anymore than required to give them a slightly negative rack in relation to the surface of the water.

On my boat, putting the tabs down just a few degrees (10 degrees or so) past neutral is all that I need. In fact, running the tabs just a few more degrees lower while on plane has increased my fuel consumption by as much as 10-15%.

Actually I should have said, put your tabs down some to get on plane, then bring them back to level, once there. I am well familiar with trim tabs, I've had them on a few of my boats, and unless you have a trim guage it is very hard to figure where they're at, but apparently from the pics of his wake, they were down too far while on full plane.

MikDee

Banned

Actually 30" tabs sound like overkill? I would go with nothing over 18" wide for your boat.

studlymandingo

Commander

So what was the issue with it planing to begin with?​

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Actually 30" tabs sound like overkill? I would go with nothing over 18" wide for your boat.

General Guidelines

Choose at least one inch of trim tab span (per side) for every foot of boat length. (Examples: 22 foot boat = no less than 24" x 9", 36 foot boat = no less than 36" x 9")
Span = side to side measurement
Chord = fore to aft measurement

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/size1.htm