3.0 liter backfiring and losing power

magoo72

Recruit
I have a 90 3.0 liter 115hp. it has been running great. the last week I went out the boat was loosing power and backfiring when you ran wide open. I had a bad alternator so I replaced it and the battery. It ran good for a day then it starts the same thing when wide open chugging and backfiring. Run it 3/4 and it runs fine. any idead where to start or what migh be causing it.

Thanks
Magoo

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 3.0 liter backfiring and losing power

Who was president the last time it had a full and complete tuneup?

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

How much water is in the fuel?

magoo72

Recruit

last spring was a complete tune up. every spring I change all the filters and oil and stuff. I don't know about the gas I never let it sit without filling on the way home from use. so what should I start with you think maybe another tune up the boat had quite a few hours last summer on it but I have used it very lightly this summer.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

A full and complete tune up would be a good start....
also bet the fuel is loaded w/ water.
Install a water seperating filter before the pump.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

I installed one myself on the advice of these guys, haven't had a prob. since :)

Attachments

• WATER FUEL.jpg
    WATER FUEL.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 0

magoo72

Recruit

Thanks for the help I will check the water fuel seperator I change that this spring. Every spring I put a new one on when I change the oil and stuff. I have an extra one on the shelf I'll throw it on and try a new one.

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class

I installed one myself on the advice of these guys, haven't had a prob. since :)

How many fuel filters are you runnin' Looks like you have 1 before the fuel/water sep. then the separator, then another after it ! If so, why so many?
And if not, my bad!