Suzuki DT 40, how to correctly adjust the shift position F-N-R

micali

Cadet
I replaced the water pump in my motor and now I am having problems getting the adjustment right for the shift mech.
when I start the motor in N the prop doesn't spin. What is the magical way to adjust these correctly? When the shifter is in N the prop spins freely, when it is in forward I can spin it by hand but it clicks with some resistance and the same with reverse. I took it out after I thought the adjsutments were on but when I went forward I couldn't push the throttle all the way forward.
Also when I put the new pump in it said to use some sealant. I used clear silicone sealant were the lower end and the crank case meet and on the bolts like it said to. Will this work or do I need to pull it back apart and put the correct stuff in?
I've had this boat on the water for almost 12yrs and when I pulled it apart it didn't look like there was any type of sealant ever used. I probably used the wrong stuff and should take it back apart so some of it doesn't block the water outlet.

Does anyone have a manual in pdf format that I could look at? Thanks for any help.

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Suzuki DT 40, how to correctly adjust the shift position F-N-R

welcome to iboats :) ..... you can see the parts break down on www.brownspoint.com ..... it is better to use the right stuff, I also tried the clear silicone once and it didn't work as it is not heat resistant ..... when removing the lower unit it is important to make marks on the settings of the clutch connecter, so you put it back the way it was ....... all sound the way it should be ... maybe just a slight adjustment of the clutch connecter ......