Towing with a 1500 RAM Hemi

SuperNova

Lieutenant
Re: Towing with a 1500 RAM Hemi

Yeah, you'd be able to pull it; just not very far. As a professional Dodge mechanic and Master Tech, I can and will tell you that is too much weight for your 1500, it is also too much weight for a 2500 or 3500 with a Hemi. The engine is the main concern and in your 1500 the 545rfe trans is also a concern. In the 2500 and 3500 gas, the engine is still a concern, but the 47 and 48re trans they are equipped with respectively, is better able to handle the load. Suspension on the 1500 may be a little weak as well for that kind of tongue weight. Your best bet would be to trade the 1500 for a Diesel 2500 of '04 and up(common rail injection). If you can truly afford that boat, then you probably can afford a decent truck, too. We just had a guy come through from canada with a 2500 hemi with 500 miles on it, towing a 35 foot camper. We had to fix the truck after which he made it about another 500 miles to N.C. and broke down again. It's just too much work load for that poor hemi, all marketing hype aside.
--
Stan

CATransplant

Admiral

I think you'd be pushing it to tow that behind your Dodge. Or, I should probably say, it'll be pushing you.

I wouldn't tow that boat with anything but a specialized towing rig. But that's just my opinion.

Yeah, you'd be able to pull it; just not very far. As a professional Dodge mechanic and Master Tech, I can and will tell you that is too much weight for your 1500, it is also too much weight for a 2500 or 3500 with a Hemi. The engine is the main concern and in your 1500 the 545rfe trans is also a concern. In the 2500 and 3500 gas, the engine is still a concern, but the 47 and 48re trans they are equipped with respectively, is better able to handle the load. Suspension on the 1500 may be a little weak as well for that kind of tongue weight. Your best bet would be to trade the 1500 for a Diesel 2500 of '04 and up(common rail injection). If you can truly afford that boat, then you probably can afford a decent truck, too. We just had a guy come through from canada with a 2500 hemi with 500 miles on it, towing a 35 foot camper. We had to fix the truck after which he made it about another 500 miles to N.C. and broke down again. It's just too much work load for that poor hemi, all marketing hype aside.
--
Stan

Maybe I will have to get a 31 footer then! Or I could switch to fords new dually! who am I kidding I dint have that type of money, and I don't like ford. So there is nothing I can do to make this work? Why does the books say 1500 can tow 10000 pds. That sucks the Hemi sucks then... I am disappointed!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Most of us are fairly familiar with Chryslers rubber band transmissions but what's the deal with the hemi? What failures are you seeing under towing conditions?

SuperNova

Lieutenant

It's not under general towing conditions, just under extreme towing conditions, and I would consider towing a 36 foot cat an extreme condition! There's nothing wrong with the hemi, just you have to realize it is only a 5.7L(350cubes) and not some mystical powerplant capable of supernatural feats. The marketing geniuses want you to believe if it has a hemi in it, it can do anything including make toast. The failure we have has more to do with the exhaust systems overheating due to the extended periods of 90% + engine output than the engines themselves failing.
--
Stan

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

Why does the books say 1500 can tow 10000 pds. !

it can tow 10 000 pounds it jsut depends on WHICH RAM you buy. if you get a stripped down v8 hemi ram then yeah you probably can tow 10 000 pounds. Now if you go buy the 4 door fully loaded 4x4 ram then you cant. the body configuration you purchase dictates what the truck can tow. its something the salesmen never tell you. If you read the brochures and you see "10 000 pound tow rating*" look on the bottom for tiny tiny print with the *. youll see they ALWAYS say when properly equipped single cab body style.
ROb

tommays

Admiral

f306c9df.jpg

Trust me you really really really don't want to taking that boat apart more than once a year

It sounds real simple but the mast is 48' long :eek: and HEAVY

Corsair_36_folded.jpg

The J-24 mast is only 35' and one person can pick it up it is still a handfull

Tommays

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just wanted to add my .02 worth.
I have a '04 Ram 1500 quad cab with the hemi and am impressed with it, both in performance and towing.
I tow my Gambler, which is not a lite boat plus a 30 foot camper anywhere I want with no problems.

Maybe I got a good un, don't know, but have had 0 problems with it.

Attachments

• DS2.jpg
    DS2.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 0

SuperNova

Lieutenant

You guys can do whatever you want. I work on 'em all day and wouldn't tow over 6500lbs with a 1500 and I think that is stretching it. If you want to tow 12000 lbs with it good luck and I work at Young's Dodge in Easton, Pa. Give me a call for the customer pay repairs, I'll take good care of you.:D
--
Stan

rndn

Commander

The advertisement says towing up to 12,000 pounds depending on drivetrain. I along with most others feel it's way too heavy for a 1500 series pickup. 8,000 pounds is a lot of weight to get going and even harder to stop. If you plan to tow often and want a good stable ride then you should really look into a diesel. Has the HP and torque and packaged with a towing package equipped vehicle it could not be beat for towing such a heavy load.

Toyota Tundra is saying they can tow 10,000 pds. So there is no way that the 1500 cant! SUPERNOVA, I know you say you work on them but do you know the whole story on why you are working on them do you talk to the owners? What years have you worked on them and how long? The advertisement for the Dakota says it can pull 65000 pds. Why can?t the RAM tow more then that? Come on here we are talking about the HEMI here!!!!!!:mad:

SBN, give me some numbers here how much does your toys weigh?

SpinnerBait_Nut

SBN, give me some numbers here how much does your toys weigh?
My camper is right at 5000#s empty weight.
And the boat is well under that.
I'm not saying they don't have problems, just have not had any issues with mine yet.

jmolin3

Cadet

I drove a 2005 dodge with a 7000 lb trailer and it didn't break but it sure didn't like hills at all. personally i think if you want to tow heavy loads you need a diesel. I pull a 11,500 lb trailer almost every day with my 2006 ford powerstroke and never have a problem. I would think if your not going far or don't have to climb any steep hills you would be fine.

Esox

Petty Officer 1st Class

The advertisement for the Dakota says it can pull 65000 pds. Why can?t the RAM tow more then that?

My Grand Cherokee is rated to tow 6500Lbs....I think anyone that would tow 6500Lbs with it is just plain nuts or has a death wish.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Try towing more than 2500 lbs with a dakota once, then tell me how much it's rated for and what the reality is.
--
Stan

SpinnerBait_Nut

Try towing more than 2500 lbs with a dakota once, then tell me how much it's rated for and what the reality is.
--
Stan
Yea, spot on with that one.
I bought a '92 when they first came out with the new body style.
Ext. cab 4X4 with the V-8 and "tow package", yea, right.
I towed my Kubota with it once and that was it, went back to using the ol 250 Ford and used the Dakota to go places in.

Wotam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

>"wouldn't tow over 6500lbs with a 1500"

He is giving straight advice... and for more than 1 reason.

If you're on flatland, and all is going well, hey, no problems.

When you make that emergency manouver if somebody cuts you off on the freeway, or maybe you're pulling or descending a big hill, or when you find maybe you've entered that last turn just a little 'hot'... then you'll wish you had a bigger rig.

I don't put much faith in any vehicle pulling right up to it's advertised rating... (for very long anyway).