what inboard engines could i put in my glastron......

my glastron has a old tired 3.0 fourcylinder. its a 74. what other possiable engines could i put in there. whould a 4.3 6 cylinder fit in there. or a 2.2 or 2.0 four cylinder

Bondo

Staff member
Re: what inboard engines could i put in my glastron......

Without Major Modifications,...............

You're limited to either a 2.5l, or the 3.0l Marine motors..........

what years? and what whould i have to do to ptu a 2.5 in there? no modifications and bolt in?

aerwin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

alot of that depends on what brand and type of engine that boat came with. and how much do you want to spend. if you had a merc, and the stringers line up right and you wanna put a new outdrive on it, you could almost put anything you want in it, as long as it does'nt surpass the h.p rating of the hull

Bondo

Staff member

The 2.5l Marine motors are direct drop-in replacments for the 3.0l,...
Or Vice-versa.......

And,..... With the Right Flywheel,.....
There's No issue with the different Vintages.......

well the 3.0 is a gm which whould make it a merc. its a 140 3.0 straight four merc with a bravo one outdrive. and its a 1974. what whould i have to do to put in a 2.5.... because id rather have that than a 3.0 parts whould be alot easier to find. so i could just bolt in a 2.5

Bondo

Staff member

If it's a 1974,...... It's NOT a Bravo,........ They didn't come out til the Late 80s.......

And,......
I believe you're confusing the 2.5l that GM has been putting in Cars,+ Trucks with the 2.5l that's used in Boats........
They are NOT the same motor..........

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

well the 3.0 is a gm which whould make it a merc.

Wrong assumption. The 3.0L is a GM engine alright, but that only makes it a GM, Mercruiser, Volvo, and OMC have all used it.

its a 140 3.0 straight four merc with a bravo one outdrive. and its a 1974
Merc has never used a Bravo drive on a 3.0L and like Bondo said the Bravo drives weren't even invented in 74. Since you assumed that is was a Merc because it was a 3.0, you are probably also wrong about it being a Merc. I think your best bet would be to post some pictures so we can see what you REALLY have there.

in what ways are the marine engines and car engines different? i know theyre detuned and have stronger crank bearings to run at wot all the time and different type of gaskets. but it is a merc. it says merc right on the head. what tye of outdrive do you think it has? it might be just a regular bravo outdrive then?

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

alpha outdrive more like it.. put a new 3.0 marine engine in it..

aerwin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well guys the boat is a 74 but maybe the outdrive was changed, who knows really what it is, it could be a later drive, were all assuming it is a 74 drive.
just cause it says gm it isn't always a merc. all the numbers need to be referenced to find out what years they are